Quick stupid question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mygirls20, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Ok... so I think I know the answer to this question but just wanted some advice. I just got some new chickens they are about 7-8 months old. I noticed today when I was guarding them while they were in their outdoor covered run that they had odd lumps on the front of their necks/chest. They are huge like the size of a racket ball and feel like bags of dry rice. The chickens have been eating none stop since I got them acting almost starved. So I am guessing that this is their food?!?!? Hoping it is and nothing weird. Again I know this is probably a stupid question but my year old chickens have never looked like this nor have I felt this on them so I just want to make sure that these new girls are alright

2. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    They must have been really hungry! the lumps are their crops full of food.

3. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is normal. The crop is an organ that is exclusive to bids. A crop's main function is to store food. It is like an extra storage tank for the bird. The crop is located at the base of the neck and can be easily seen after a bird has just eaten. If you have chickens, a sure way to tell if a bird is full is to look at the size of the crop. If the crop is large in size the bird is most likely full. If the crop is deflated and has a flat appearance the bird has not eaten yet. The crop continuously supplies small amounts of the food to the stomach.

P.S. NO question is stupid.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    4 people like this.
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They may be stuffing themselves right now. Check again in the morning - their crops should be flatter / empty.

Sometimes I have a piggy hen or duck which nearly overbalance themselves from filling up but they're okay the next day, thankfully. You may be feeding them something different from their old home and they feel they must gorge so nobody takes it away from them.

I would not worry unless their crops are still full in the morning.

5. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    ok thank you so much thats what I thought it was but just needed someone to tell me lol. My other chickens were older and more fluffy when I got them so I have never seen anything like that on them before. My new ones scared me they look so weird walking around it looks like they got a horrible boob job lol [​IMG]

6. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Well they lived with 30 other chickens, 6 geese and 10 turkeys I am guessing they didnt have food just laying around like my spoiled fat hens do. They have been non stop eating since I got them (and they look a little skinny) hoping they slow down soon I dont want them to get sick or something (dont know if that possible) when my dog eats to much he throws up thats why I mentioned the sick part :)

7. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Ya they are little piggies I think they eat ate a cup of food a piece when I first put them in their coop. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What emsdial said is correct. If they are looking thin, they may also have worms, which will also cause high food consumption. You may want to take a sample in, or worm them as a precaution.

9. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    The lady at my feed store said I could give chickens just a tiny amount of horse dewormer so I did that with all my chickens I hope that was ok?!?!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What wormer did you use? Ivermectin? I'm not sure of the dosage for the paste, but I've used ivomec topical and valbazen on my birds. Both are cattle wormers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by