Quick!!!Sugardine recipe needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaniLovesChickens, Aug 25, 2010.

1. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm getting ready for bumble foot surgery and was going to use sugardine (that looked like what a lot of people suggested for a lot of stuff) when I realized that I didn't know exactly how to make it. DUH!

It's sugar and betadine, right? But how much of each? Please help! Quick!

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Hi Dani -

I just put some sugar in a little bowl, about a teaspoon or two, and then just added enough betadine to make a paste. It just takes a few drops. If it's too runny, it won't stay on the foot. I made it about like a gritty peanut butter texture and just gobbed it on and then put a bandage over it.

Good luck!

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    if you have an ointment (povaderm or something?) it will work better, but I was pretty successful with just sugar and povadine liquid.
    If you have raw honey it is also great - natural antibacterial (I have learned so much on this site! LOL ) - but I would recommend having help with the honey - it sticks to you, the bird, the gauze the counter.....

4. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks! I used just neosporin on this one. Unfortunately, I have several more that I will have to do! [​IMG]

I know you Lori. Or I should say, I know all about Kubota. I've been following the soap opera!! It's amazing isn't it, all of the accumulated knowledge on this site! [​IMG]

I was doing "surgery" on Isabelle when my cousin stopped by. She was so impressed!

I think my son and I were able to catch and look at the feet of 9 of our hens. Four of them have bumblefoot! [​IMG][​IMG] I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next couple of days! I still have 20 hens to look at! [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by