Quick Turkey Question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by helkat, Nov 8, 2009.

1. helkat

helkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Hi there! We are thinking of getting turkeys. There are two hens and a tom available.

Is one tom to two hens a good ratio? I know with ducks and chickens there should be a high female to male ratio. Is it the same with turkeys?

If that is the case, maybe we will just get the hens.

Thanks
    Helga

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I think that is good. Get all three. [​IMG] What kind are they?

3. helkat

Sep 21, 2008
    Royal Palms. Are they a nice breed? My husband has been wanting turkeys for awhile.

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Those are on my wish list for next spring! I have a pair of Bourbon Reds and a trio of Black Spanishes (processing those next week). The BR's are pet and so will the RP's if I get some. It is better to have 2 females and 1 male than the other way around. That way the males are not fighting for the lead role.[​IMG]

I don't think the RP's personalities are much different than other heritage breeds.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Royal Palms are good, not as big as those raised for eating, but if just keeping as pets get the trio, and enjoy.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Royal Palms are more of an ornamental type turkey. They are very striking, when people come over they notice ours first.

[​IMG]

Steve in NC

7. helkat

Sep 21, 2008
    Thanks everyone! We are the proud parents to 3 Royal Palm turkeys, though I really have NO IDEA if they are hens or toms.

I will try to get some pics of them tomorrow!

Thanks!
    Helga

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Because the breeding with turkeys is always "hen's choice" it's not a problem to have a 1:2 ration (1 tom to 2 hens) because they will only allow him near when they want him there. Otherwise he hangs back (not at all like rooster!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by