Quick ? - Will a Pullet act like a Roo?

Jmurcks

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
North Alabama
I've got a brooder full of chicks from 1 month to 2 weeks old. I am trying to determine who's a roo and who's a pullet.

One of the oldest chick is definitely a roo... red comb and little red wattles. The second oldest chick is more feathered and has no red on her comb and no visible wattles. I assume she's a hen.

All of the chicks look like her... no red combs or visible wattles but they are "rooster fighting" with the known rooster.
Will little pullets do this or is this a roo only thing and they just haven't developed enough, yet?

Thanks!

As far as the fighting goes, they all chest bump and peck one another, doesn't matter if they're pullet or cockerel. It's just their way of determining the pecking order of the group.

Yup! All chickies do that! I have a few and everynow and then you'll see a pullet and a rooster doing the 'chest bump thing' It's hilarious!!! But yes they all do this.
wink.png

When I saw them doing that I freaked out!
I was thinking that I just knew that that one was a pullet!

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me! I feel much better now!
wink.png

totaly will, just look for early comb and wattle development ,not pink but red. post pics with suspects as they come up. Or as the saying goes you never know till it crows!

My oldest chick's comb and wattle shine like new money! They are just as pretty and red as a polished apple...

My other chick's is real yellow and small... she is fluffed out like crazy and when I saw them going at it I thought OH NO!

There is only a two week difference between the oldest and youngest chick and I have it marked in my chicken book the date my other oldest one started looking roo-ish so I should know soon!
I am sure I will be posting pictures though!

Thanks!

Pick up about 5 of them and set them down next to eachother. Look at their tailfeathers, and if it's feathers are longer or stick up in the air nine times out of ten it will be a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom