Quick: Yet another humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keaton85, Sep 26, 2010.

1. keaton85

keaton85 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Just went into lockdown last night at 10PM. All eggs are currently moving and with proper air sacs.

Anyway, I put in a large bowl to raise the humidity BUT the only way to get it up to 60% is by making sure there is no air leakage. It's a cooler so I taped up the lid and so forth. Everything is currently stable.

My issue is ventilation, I don't know how to keep good ventilation without loosing all my humidity. I did open up a small dime sized hole this morning to try and get at-least a little bit of new air in. Although, I don't think that would be enough?

So the question is how important is ventilation apposed to humidity? I really don't have a way to raise humidity as all the space in the incubator is taken up and I can't install a sponge because I have the water container covered so the chicks don't fall in.

2. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Ventilation is very important. Have you tried putting sponges in a tray of warm water? Or draping a wash cloth over the edge of the bowl? These make more surface area for the water to evaporate from.

3. keaton85

Sep 8, 2010
    well it's going to be till 10PM tonight till I can even get ventilation going. Although since I'm in lockdown I would have to open it up again and mess with it which is probably a bad idea.

Idono how I'm going to pull both off! it's either or at this stage in the game.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

A dime sized whole may be fine... How many eggs are in there?

5. keaton85

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:I was hoping for your responds!

I have 15 due to hatch (possible one MIA) and then two that are due about a week from now.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

A LG has 2 holes a little less than the size of a dime an it has a plug in one of them from the factory to hatch 40 eggs. It does have some small holes in the bottom though. I would think that if 40 eggs can hatch with the 2 holes then 15 can with one slightly bigger whole. I do think you should always have a top hole an a bottom hole though. That pulls air threw better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by