Quicken Auction House (not real)

16 chicks were hatched. I think there were 14 under her at the time of the pic.

The serama mama adopted them for about a day. I put an ad on CL & sold out in 4 hours. I now have a waiting list and was told there's a chick shortage in our area. I kept the last 2 chicks for the happiness of my hen, but I'll sell them as soon as she decides she's done. I don;t need any more chickens....

....but I need those Quickens!

I bid $11,000.01 FD
Never! I need them Quickens!
I bid 11,050 RFD!!!

16 chicks were hatched. I think there were 14 under her at the time of the pic.

The serama mama adopted them for about a day. I put an ad on CL & sold out in 4 hours. I now have a waiting list and was told there's a chick shortage in our area. I kept the last 2 chicks for the happiness of my hen, but I'll sell them as soon as she decides she's done. I don;t need any more chickens....

....but I need those Quickens!

I bid $11,000.01 FD

My god, she hatched 16 chicks? How did she do that with her small size o.o

At least you had an abundant hatch. I too had a broody mama in my coop but the hatch was a poor one. 2 chicks out of 8 fertile eggs in a batch of 10 (the other others were a dud and a sloshy one). 1 chick is vigorous and the other is weak. I've determined on BYC that the leftover eggs who didn't hatch had all lacked humidity at some point in their development, but it stings because I had been counting on that hatch to cull and regenerate my flock. As it is I don't know if my weak chick will survive, and I'm unsure whether the strong one is male or female :he

I'm going to have to intervene today, and hand-feed the weak chick so it gets strong enough to eat on its own. This is its third day today, if it doesn't start eating now he could die before the week is over...

11,000.02 FDs, plus a prayer to the heavens that my chick survives its first week of life on a full stomach.

My god, she hatched 16 chicks? How did she do that with her small size o.o

At least you had an abundant hatch. I too had a broody mama in my coop but the hatch was a poor one. 2 chicks out of 8 fertile eggs in a batch of 10 (the other others were a dud and a sloshy one). 1 chick is vigorous and the other is weak. I've determined on BYC that the leftover eggs who didn't hatch had all lacked humidity at some point in their development, but it stings because I had been counting on that hatch to cull and regenerate my flock. As it is I don't know if my weak chick will survive, and I'm unsure whether the strong one is male or female :he

I'm going to have to intervene today, and hand-feed the weak chick so it gets strong enough to eat on its own. This is its third day today, if it doesn't start eating now he could die before the week is over...

11,000.02 FDs, plus a prayer to the heavens that my chick survives its first week of life on a full stomach.
Poor chicko.
11,000.05 RFD, plus two more prayers.

Poor chicko.
11,000.05 RFD, plus two more prayers.

The bad news get worse. It seems mama hen had vermin, because the chick resting in the house also has vermin. I'm not sure what kind, but I get crawly feels because I held him against my neck for warmth while I prepared a heating pad for him. Brrr. In any case I did my best to sprinkle Dusting Powder on his back and head, which will hopefully kill enough of the pests that he can regain some strength and start eating. I don,t have much hope though. He breathes hard, and that is a worrying sign.

12,000 FDs, and a wish for a miracle.

The bad news get worse. It seems mama hen had vermin, because the chick resting in the house also has vermin. I'm not sure what kind, but I get crawly feels because I held him against my neck for warmth while I prepared a heating pad for him. Brrr. In any case I did my best to sprinkle Dusting Powder on his back and head, which will hopefully kill enough of the pests that he can regain some strength and start eating. I don,t have much hope though. He breathes hard, and that is a worrying sign.

12,000 FDs, and a wish for a miracle.
Poor baby. I hope that he gets better. I had a chick that died from breathing problems, why is it always breathing problems from chicks that kill them?:hit

13,000 FDs, and an extra wish for a miracle.

Poor baby. I hope that he gets better. I had a chick that died from breathing problems, why is it always breathing problems from chicks that kill them?:hit

13,000 FDs, and an extra wish for a miracle.

That is exactly what I am worrying over. I can hand feed and water my chick, give it warmth and anti-pest powder and such, but if he can't breathe well, all the good wills of the world will not help him get better. He breathes like a fish and barely stands, does not eat on his own and has only drank one drop of water in the two hours I've been monitoring him. All he wants to do is rest. So I'm letting him rest, but again, if he can't breathe his days are counted :(

At least his brother is doing fine with momma hen. Now the question is: is it a pullet or a cockerel? I won't know until several weeks later xD

14,000 FDs, and two extra wishes for a miracle.

That is exactly what I am worrying over. I can hand feed and water my chick, give it warmth and anti-pest powder and such, but if he can't breathe well, all the good wills of the world will not help him get better. He breathes like a fish and barely stands, does not eat on his own and has only drank one drop of water in the two hours I've been monitoring him. All he wants to do is rest. So I'm letting him rest, but again, if he can't breathe his days are counted :(

At least his brother is doing fine with momma hen. Now the question is: is it a pullet or a cockerel? I won't know until several weeks later xD

14,000 FDs, and two extra wishes for a miracle.
Poor baby. :hit

Maybe you can check the vent?

15,000 FDs, and three extra wishes for a miracle.

For pasty butt? I've already done that twice, and nothing. He's only pooped once, too, so not much to work with from that angle.

16,000 FDs, and four extra wishes for a miracle.
If only there was a vet that actually could help chickens with severe issues. I heard of many people bringing their chickens to vets and farm animal vets and the vets don't know how to save the chickens. We need one. :hit

17,000 FDs, and five extra wishes for a miracle.

If only there was a vet that actually could help chickens with severe issues. I heard of many people bringing their chickens to vets and farm animal vets and the vets don't know how to save the chickens. We need one. :hit

17,000 FDs, and five extra wishes for a miracle.

Veterinarians for chickens is a dying practice because it is too costly for the amateur backyarder and medium breeder to afford. Only commercial factories can pay the visit of a vet, and the treatment for hundreds of birds greatly differs from the treatment to a single bird. Plus vets are trained to use chemical medicine instead of natural remedies, so that doesn't help their popularity towards most small backyard flocks.

Most people will tell you to cull your sick members and start again. Except not every backyarder has a rooster, an incubator and/or a broody on hand, and fetching chicks from another place is impossible with the Covid-19 keeping us all confined at home. This year is just not a productive one for me. On a bright note though, at least I still have one vigorous chick to fill up the ranks of my flock. I trust mama hen to make sure this one survives.

18,000 FDs, and six extra wishes for a miracle.

Back
Top Bottom