Quickest way to integrate?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I have heard a lot of methods for integrating (see don't touch, introduce slowly, etc.) because I have two new chicks, that will eventually need to move in with my 6 older pullets. But what way has the been the fastest for introducing two new chicks to a flock of 6 (or around 6) I would really like to know, seeing how it's freezing currently and they will need the help of the warmth of the flock to get them through the winter. And once their feathers are in I will get them outside immediately so they don't stink up my house!
:barnie

Integration is not a process that can be rushed. You have to do the appropriate time for quarantine, see-no-touch, and slow introductions. Trust me, you will be happy you did this. It will keep your flock and your new birds safe. I have an article on integration on my page. I would read it. But as general guidelines, quarantine 2-4 weeks, see-no-touch 4+ days. I am in the process of integrating a new chicken, and if I skipped these steps, my entire flock would be sick right now. It's much easier to treat one sick bird than many. Best wishes and good luck!

-Chatty :)

What worked very well for me was a one way gate. I had them in the garage about 3 weeks. Then I took them to the run, sectioned off a corner with some lattice panels and a huddle box for shelter. The chicks were small enough to be able to go through it like water, the older birds could not. The first two days, I turned the big girls out of the run and locked them out. My set up lets me open the coop from the outside so they could still lay eggs in the coop.

By day 3 some of the chicks would explore out of the panel but staying close the panel. They quickly learned that was their safe zone, and retreat there quickly. A week later, they were eating with the big girls and there was no problems at all.

As Ridgerunner is fond of saying, we all have different experiences, so I will mention that my flock members have all been raised around chicks. My rooster has had chicks more than once. And even though it had been months since there were chicks, and some of the birds were the chicks, I kind of think they accept chicks more easily than a flock that are a one generational flock that birds have never been added to.

Mrs K

Get them used to the outside temp...During the day put them in a look no touch and then put them back without heat at night into original brooder..Start free ranging them after about 5 days with the flock...That's the quickest way I know how to introduce Chickens....

Get them used to the outside temp...During the day put them in a look no touch and then put them back without heat at night into original brooder..Start free ranging them after about 5 days with the flock...That's the quickest way I know how to introduce Chickens....
I might try this, but my only problem is that Wisconsin is freezing this time of year.

Yes....just use good judgement...I had Chicks out in my Coop with Momma last winter...They will require a bit of heat...I'm not sure of your set up?.....
I can't get a pic currently, but it has some floor and nesting box insulation, it is off the ground because it is movable. Part of the run is the underside of the coop. I don't know how long it is but I'm a little over 5 foot and I can lay in it with plenty of room to move around (I tested it before the chickens moved in)

Back
Top Bottom