Quickly spoiled, wants inside the house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mavrik, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    My six year old EE hen had mycotoxin poisoning recently that she spent 3 days inside the house. Yesterday was her first day out and noticed that she got locked out of the coop (auto door), very rare for her. I just assumed she was too weak to get to the roost, so I bought her in. Now I see why she was locked out, she hangs around my gate waiting to be brought inside the house for the night. So I waited for her to go the coop and try to get in, like the other chickens do (remote controlled coop door). Then noticed that she jumped my fence into the backyard, a "no chicken zone" to get inside the house.

I've had her six years and was in the house only for three days, BTW, first time in six years and now she thinks it's her permeate night time roost.

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Yup, I had the same thing with 2 different chickens. I had one that was in for 3 days, and at night, he did not go back to the coop, but waited at the door... I had to carry him back and put him in the coop. I had a hen who was egg bound, and she spent a few nights in the house... Same thing... Had to carry her back also... Its like when you put them in a new coop... They still go back to the old at first till they learn the new. Then they always go to the new. You change where they sleep for a few nights for what ever reason, you have to train them again to go to the coop. LOL.

3. ChickenAsylum

ChickenAsylum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I have the same problem. On top of all that, she is being attacked viciously when I make her go back. I am afraid I have a permanent resident.

4. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    First time this has happened for me and I've had a few chickens "hospitalized". During the summer I put the hospital cage in the garage and set up a video camera to watch. None have ever wanted to roost in the garage. Was your two chickens in the house during the summer or winter? Thinking mine understood a warm house verses a cold coop.

After three days a chicken normally loses it's pecking order status. Mine happens to be the crew queen and oldest and slipped right back into her spot.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. ChickenAsylum

Jan 5, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Do you have any suggestions for re-integrating her or is it a lost cause?

6. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    Just throw her back in, if the others are not drawing blood, they will re-establish a pecking order. If drawing blood, you could try putting her in a cage within the group and they will get used to her.

7. ChickenAsylum

Jan 5, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Thank you, Mavrik. I will try it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by