Quiet and nice Roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awalters0815, Aug 14, 2010.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Recently we had a hawk attack and a wild dog attack. I want to get a rooster to protect the ladies. Is there such a thing as a quiet rooster that won't attack me or my children? Please give your breed suggestions and experiences. My neigbors wouldn't like a noisy rooster. Would a female Guinea be an alternative to a rooster?

2. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Bantam brahma is very quiet.

3. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard Faverolles and Silkie roos arent that noisy. But all roos are noisy...

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If you think your neighbor would be bothered by a rooster, you'd better forget the Guinea!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't know of any rooster that can take care of wild dogs. And bantams are out if you have hawk problems. The only protection I can think of that would work is an enclosed chicken run with flight top netting over it to keep predators out. If that doesn't work, electricity does the trick pretty well.

As for friendly roos, my large fowl orpington are very docile with humans and take good care of their girls. I did have an experience with a person's dog got out of their car and went running up to my buff orps who were out free ranging. He was promptly greeted by my two roos I had at the time. I don't think he had ever seen roos that towered over him and I don't think he expected them to charge after him. He quickly turned around and ran back to the car. I doubt most dogs would react this way though, especially large and persistent ones.

6. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I built a run for now and will consider getting a guinea or roo in the future

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by