1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quiet Breed of Duck for Stock dog training

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sillyblondie36, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Sillyblondie36

Sillyblondie36 New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    Hello!

Looking to see if anyone else trains stock dogs. And if so, is there a relatively quiet breed that I can work with? I live on 2 acres, the neighbors are sort of close by and want to make sure they don't annoy them. :)

I read that Cayuga ducks are pretty quiet-do they flock well?

Thank you in advanced!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I don't know much about ducks or stock dog training but, if you post on the "Duck thread." I'm sure people could advise you on the most suitable breeds. I think I have heard of some folks using runner ducks.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm just starting to learn about ducks (I have chickens now) and I've read comments that some breeds of ducks are quieter (and sometimes drakes are quieter than hens) but you would be best off asking the experts on the duck forum:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

If you'd like to share stories and pictures about your stock dogs, this is a good place for that:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock

It would be fun to see a picture of some of your dogs if you would like to share.

Thanks for joining us!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. All of the herding exhibitions that I have seen have involved Indian Runner ducks. I think that perhaps because of their slender builds they hold up better than the heavier ducks.

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2. Indian runners are what are used around here. Also they can't fly so there is no chance of their escaping the dog herding by taking off.

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    The Indian Runner would be a better choice. Indian Runners used to be and sometimes still used to train herding dogs. Indian Runners are the only ducks that can run instead of waddle, they are excellent layers too. The hen can be loud when in danger but tend to be quiet and the drakes can't quack, and Indian Runners are flightless.

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by