Quiet breeds for neighborhood backyard

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rjackh, Dec 18, 2014.

1. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    I know hens are usually pretty quiet except their egg song. I am interested in the following breeds for a small backyard flock:

Light Sussex
    Ameracauna
    Buff Orpington
    Welsummer
    Barred rock
    Copper Maran

I will only have 4 hens, just haven't chosen which 4 of the above breeds yet. Are any of these noisier than the others? Are there any particularly quiet breeds I should look into? Thanks.

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Well I can say that all of my Buff Orps have been noisy as heck LOL but lovable!
    If by Ameraucana you mean hatchery Easter Eggers, then I would opt out of those as well. My EE's are flighty and talkative.
    My pure Ameraucana on the other hand is quiet as a mouse!

The quietest birds I have had are probably my White Rock (just one so I can't judge the whole breed easily), and my Brahmas (except for a low growling sound they make when they know I have treats), and my Wyandotte.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My Wyandotte is quiet also. She never makes a peep. My Pioneer is quiet. Home bred black sex links are loud. Leghorns loud. EE very quiet in their second laying season. I think, no matter what breed you get, you're bound to have a loud mouth. But, I can say that IMO, most chickens are quieter than most dogs. If you are allowed to have chickens in your neighborhood, I'd not worry about it, though I do understand where you are coming from. that was an initial concern of mine. Now, I don't even mind my rooster... much!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had all of the breeds on your list over the years (still have Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas and Buff Orpingtons) as well as dozens of others, and I would stick with the Orpingtons and Sussex. They are quiet breeds as chickens go (although all breeds cluck and sing the egg song). I agree with TaraBellaBirds about the Easter Eggers. Mine have always been pretty noisy. Some other breeds that are quiet as chickens go include Australorps (excellent layers), Brahmas, Cochins, and Silkies (do not get Cochins or Silkies if you want a good lay rate). Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

5. AtropineCaffein

AtropineCaffein Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Northern Alabama
    If you are looking for just some pretty yard birds, not meaties or tons of eggs, perhaps a Japanese bantam? The hens murmur and talk but they do not have loud voices. Our rooster crows RARELY and when he does, it is like a human's normal speaking tone level of loud (and incredibly cute!).

I cannot speak to the "egg song" because we just find eggs without anyone ever singing about it that we have heard. Even when the hens get worked up, it is still not loud.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. My Orp's have been some of the quietest birds I've had, same with my Wyandottes. The Barred Rocks? Good heavens, chatterboxes all day long and noisy about the egg song. Really great birds but blabbermouths! My Easter Egger's...also noisy birds. I also have Sebright's, that are very quiet little things.

7. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the replies.

Do y'all think there's a difference in noise level between true ameraucanas and Easter eggers?

What about brahmas? And I will add australorps to my list.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The first breed I ever had were Brahmas (about 50 years ago) and they are gentle giants, and very quiet as chickens go. It's why I mentioned them on the list in my post.

9. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    There is a definite temperament difference between EE's and Ameraucanas!
    As Michael said Brahmas are awesome birds. Even my hatchery stock are big babies, and besides the occasional grumble they are pretty quiet, even my roo is not crowing crazy like some breeds!

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    My light Sussex hens are quiet and docile. Curious and friendly. I highly recommend the breed.
    Merry Christmas,
    Karen

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by