Quiet breeds

AMEJN

Hatching
Mar 7, 2015
Where is a good place to get chickens that aren't chicks but not quite ready to lay?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

I do not really know about that!! All i have are Barnyard Mixes, and they are very heat tolernat!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Based on my personal experience over the past 50 years, the quietest breeds I've had have been Brahmas, Silkies, Cochins, Orpingtons, and Australorps. These breeds are all calm and gentle (my children made lap pets of them), and relatively quiet (as chickens go). Australorps are by a considerable margin the most heat hardy on this list, and the best layers. I've raised them where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more), and while my other breeds were listless and panting with their wings held out, my Australorps were going about their business as usual. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Michael's advice. Quite breeds include orpingtons, australorps, brahmas, barred rocks , wyandottes and cochins. Avoid little bantams. They tend to be very loud.

Australorps, rhode island reds,wyandottes, leghorns and barred rocks are very good egg producing chickens. Orpingtons, brahmas and cochins are more of pets and not the best egg layers.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice for you from the above posters. Good luck with your new chickens hope you find a breed that suits your needs.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat. Everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Back
Top Bottom