Quiet/calm breed of duck?

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
I am researching the different breeds before becoming a first time duck owner, and I'm focusing on getting a breed that is calm and friendly, and also on the quieter side. Those of you with duck experience, what breed(s) would you recommend?

I have been looking at getting some Welsh Harlequin, nice dual purpose bird too. I have heard Muscovies are wonderful too. So many to choose from. We just got Pekin ducks and they are definitely not quiet.

Pekins are LOUD, but calm. My Saxony cross is a pretty mellow girl. And my Ancona was a really nice duck, not overly noisy and pretty mellow. My BLue Swedish were wonderful, calm and not crazy noisy. The Muscovies are about the most calm though that I have ever had. I did not raise any of them from ducklings, we adopted all of them as adults, or almost adults, but they are so easy going. I was a slow convert to their looks, but now think they are lovely ducks. And so so so cute when they wag and raise the crest on their heads in response to my attention.

Another thing I guess I should be looking for is a duck that is somewhat good with not free ranging all the time. I'll be letting them free range our property when I'm home and can watch, but otherwise they'll be in their shelter/run.

My muscovy are like dogs they are so calm and friendly. they fence free free range and can fly, but usually come to me immediately when i call them. they get in pen on command and usually don't get real upset about. they don't quack at all but sounds range of soft sounds unless females agitated and then even they just squeak.

Last edited:
Another thing I guess I should be looking for is a duck that is somewhat good with not free ranging all the time. I'll be letting them free range our property when I'm home and can watch, but otherwise they'll be in their shelter/run.
I keep the flock close - we live in suburbia, on about an acre, with dogs, and all kinds of predators around. They have about 200 square feet of Day Pen for when I am not around and the temperatures are above freezing. We go for walks together, they play in the garden when I am with them, and their night shelter is about 100 square feet. Thirteen ducks, nine runners and four buffs.

Well Muscovy quack but nothing like the mallard derived do, my buffs are LOUD and chatty as all get out. The thing is though scovies do fly and frankly, are excellent forages and do better IME with being able to do so, all mine free range, i think if you at least allowed several foraging opportunities a day you'd be okay.

Back
Top Bottom