Quiet chickens/ chicken chatering

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sloallie10, May 4, 2009.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    ok i asked my dad why we cant have chickens (long story) and he sid first of all he doesnt want the chickens to make noise (neighbors), and they have two rir (and new bo) next door and he is worried if we get chickens, that the chickens wil chat and be really loud..... sooooo

willl the chickens know that the other chickens are there?
    WAYS TO PERVENT THAT? will they chat loudly?
    are RIR's just chaty?

2. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    I would think from what I've experienced the "chat" is not the problem. When the water or food is not what they expect, they can squalk very loudly. I have a game hen who can say "WHAAAAT" louder than you might imagine, but I have a busy street behind me, streets on two more sides and neighbors who have had a goat.

One mans noise is anothers music. And I like that all my hens are Democrats.

[​IMG]

3. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    ha i read that to my dad.... thanks? more?

4. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    The real YUKS are at my web site. You want some laughs? Show your Dad some of the videos I've done of the girls when they were wearing peepers.

5. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    any more suggestions... just geting this topic up... NEED HELP!

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I had chickens as a kid . . . a long, long time ago. You can see me with the birds when I was about 7 or 8 (already a "seasoned" chicken-keeper) on my BYC page.

Perhaps, some of the problem with noisy birds can be helped by choosing a breed known to be quiet. This was a topic on a few threads this Winter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138541&p=2

By keeping track of the votes for and with zero votes against: Buff Orpingtons looked like the winners to me.
    Here's wishing you the best of luck [​IMG]!

Steve

edited to say: I don't see how you can be responsible for your neighbor's chickens being noisy. What if they bought a dog that liked to bark at everyone he sees. Would that be your fault?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Dr.Doorlock :

I would think from what I've experienced the "chat" is not the problem. When the water or food is not what they expect, they can squalk very loudly. I have a game hen who can say "WHAAAAT" louder than you might imagine, but I have a busy street behind me, streets on two more sides and neighbors who have had a goat.

One mans noise is anothers music. And I like that all my hens are Democrats.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17397_backbarack.jpg

I so love this picture!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I think the noises my pullets make is quite endearing. The have this cooing noise they make when they see me coming. They sing little lullabuy's at night when they go to roost ever so gently. Sure sometimes they squak a bit now and again but I have never, ever heard a chicken make noise louder than the neighborhood dogs around us. My small dog is WAY more annoying than any noise my chickens make.

Plus they don't exactly make noise all day...at least not noise that is audible from any short distance.

Just don't get a rooster and you'd be all set! Good luck swaying your Dad. I had many obstacles to overcome with my husband before he'd agree to letting us have chickens. Now he loves them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by