1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUIET duck breeds?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ally Rose, May 7, 2012.

1. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    This summer, I am hoping to hatch two ducks! Ducks aren't, how do i say this....allowed, where i live so i need (a) breed(s) that are somewhat quiet...preferably ones that are available at metzer farms please! I really like buffs, but are they noisy? I dont think they are but i need advice. And also, is it possible to purchase only 2 duck eggs at Metzer? I saw that the minimum price was 25 bucks but no minimum quantity... they only stated the minimum quantity for ducklings which is 2 but im talking about EGGS! So i'd be more than happy if someone could answer my q's! THANKS!!!

Owner of one very cute lionhead bunny, Scooter, and a old lady chocolate lab that still acts like a puppy! And a soon-to-be mother of 2 duckies!!!
    (BTW I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT LITTLE DESCRIPTION AT THE BOTTOM IN GRAY SO IM DOIN' THIS! LOL)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. The ONLY quiet domestic breed is the Scovy. All others especially the hens are going to be VERY loud. You might want to considered buying Drakelets

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Enjoy the forums!

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

My call ducks were pretty quiet.

[​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. BEI are not a quiet duck. :thumbsup

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Completely agree with Kevin565 - Scovies are the only really quiet ones. I swear, I our girl ducks are just about the loudest animals we own lol. To make a signature, click on My Profile at the top. Under Your Photos there's a section called Your Forum Signature & under that is the Edit Signature Text button.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

Our Cayugas are pretty quiet. FYI....Call Ducks are NOT quiet!! [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    Thanks for the welcome! But what are drakelets? Just baby males? I really wanted the experience of hatching my ducks, so i don't know if i want to order ducklings. Do you know a reliable site where i could possibly buy Muscovy eggs? And how big do they get? Thanks for your help i appreciate it!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by