Quiet ducks in their house - is this good?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickInDelight, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I have a tough time getting my free-rangers into their house. They are in lock-down now - all except Milly Mallard that decided to hang with the chickens.

I have noticed then when I do trap the ducks in their new house, they get very quiet - except when I talk to them - then they talk quietly back.

Is it a good sign that they get quiet in their house?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first 2 nights they were in, I found Mallard eggs. I have found one in the yard, otherwise, it has been hit / miss getting these guys into the house at night.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Mine are nice and quiet in their house at night unless I go out and talk to them. Then they get up and chat back. And then they start chattering away in the morning when they think it is time to get out. I don't hear them at all during the night.

3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Quote:So do they go in willingly / happily? Do they seem to like their house?

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Mine are noisy as ever - even in their house - all hours of the day and night. I wish they were quiet. They don't much like going in the house - they'd rather be out free ranging or in outdoor pen. Tonight, even though it was getting quite dark, I had to chase them to get them to go in the house. Of course, we have no access to the house without picking them up and putting them in the house, so that may be a big factor. They do not like to be picked up. Darn![​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Depends. On what, I don't know, but the runners tonight put themselves into their big pen around sundown, then into their secure area by 9:30 p.m. I just walked out, did a quick head count, and locked up.

They were being very quiet, just a few mumbles when I showed up.

Sometimes they are much more animated and boisterous.

And I sleep near a window that's about 20 feet from their house, so I know that some nights there's a bit of chatter. From prior experience, I reckon it's a discussion about who's going to lay her egg where. One night I went to see what some minor commotion was, and it was Funf. She was pacing and turning and chatting up a storm, walking all over the pen. Finally, after about 20 minutes near 3 in the morning, she laid an egg.

6. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Mine go right into their coop at dark.. all I do is check and shut the door [​IMG] they are always quiet, I think its a way to keep from predators during the night [​IMG]

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Mine put themselves to bed every night. I just go and shut the door after them. Sometimes if I go out too early and they're still out, I just go into the pen and tell them to go to bed and they do. I think it's only because their house is the best place to hide from the evil monster that feeds them! I was surprised that the new females I got put themselves to bed after just one night of being herded into the house. They were strictly free range until I brought them home so they must really like the idea of being locked up safe and sound at night. They are all pretty quiet in the house but they're Muscovies so that's not saying much! [​IMG]

8. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I think it's only because their house is the best place to hide from the evil monster that feeds them!

[​IMG]

That is one of the funniest thing I have heard all day.

Mine are pretty quiet at night. I see them moving around, for a drink, or something, but they rarely make much noise.​

9. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Mine mosey up the hill to their duck-yard between twilight and dark, then put themselves to bed when it's full dark. The sun is setting sooner lately so I'm going out a little earlier than usual to close up the doors and a few of them (the geese and runners mostly) will be out still splashing in their pool. When they see me coming with the flashlight they start complaining about how they're not ready to go to bed yet. I just say, "bedtime ducks!" and they climb the ramp, complaining loudly the entire time.

I find that the more ducks I have in one house the noisier they are at night. When everyone's divided into their breeding yards, and have seperate little houses, everything is a lot quieter. But I let everyone out to run together at the end of July and they sleep together in a large communal duck-barn... it's pretty noisy in there all night long.

10. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Yeah, mine go in willingly. As soon as it is dark, that's where they are and just hang out waiting for me to close their door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by