Quiet ducks! Please help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jrodt, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Jrodt

Jrodt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    I have 4 chickens hens that are generally quiet. Rarely make noise. In the spring I am going to get 1 duck. I live in a neighborhood and would like a quiet duck. Are they louder
    and chickens? I have heard that Moscovys are very quiet but I do not generally like to look at them… are they my only option? If so I would still get them. Hopefully my duck will get along with my chickens.

2. aascvd01

aascvd01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    If they have water to swim in they shouldn't be too loud

3. estaswick

estaswick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Muscovies are a great option! We live on a very small lot and had 4 years round, at the moment we have 30 ducklings as well but those will be moving out soon. ;) no noise complaints.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I agree about muscovies - I generally find them to be less aesthetically pleasing than other ducks, shall we say. And with their size, they can be VERY hard to handle. I recommend cayuga ducks, they're not as quiet as muscovies but they're still a pretty quiet breed. I also like runner ducks, not THE quietest but really not that bad. They're also great layers and will provide nonstop entertainment.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  5. Jrodt

Jun 18, 2014
    I how large do cayuga ducks get?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    In the 4-5 pound range, so they're not that big but they're VERY vertical. They're tall buggers! Cayugas are bigger, around 6-8 pounds. Something to consider if you're going for meat. Both breeds are good egg producers, though!

7. Jrodt

Jun 18, 2014
    Are the hens usually nice to people?

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Cayuga ducks are very sweet-natured. Runners can be if handled and socialized, but they really prefer to do their own thing.

9. SpiderSilk

SpiderSilk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Alabama
    Our Welsh Harlequin pair are quiet. Peppa only quacks a few times in the morning as I am walking out to feed them and let them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by