Quiet ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jennsbirds, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Jennsbirds

Jennsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Currently, we live right next to someone who owns a duck. Said duck yaps his head off all night and bothers the crap (please pardon that) out of my sister and her husband.

I, however, want my own duck. I'd get it after constructing my own pond and use the poop water to fertilize my veggies. I also heard duck eggs are delicious in pastry cooking.

Are there quiet breeds of egg ducks? How easy is it to happily put a duck in a chicken coop with chickens?

2. Muscovites or drakes. Drakes have the voice of a Muscovy, quiet and raspy, but if you WANT eggs (lol) then Muscovies are known to be quiet

3. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    I have Cayugas and they are pretty quiet, males are more quiet then females, I put my ducks with my chickens and they are all good:) And the eggs are awesome! they taste like... like.. well an egg lol

4. Jennsbirds

Jennsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Wil a cayuga 'talk' all night? Can they be heard through the coop?

5. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    IMO there is only ONE answer to a "quiet" duck..............Muscovy. There is a ton of pictures on here and some are downright beautiful....[​IMG]

6. Honestly, most ducks are quiet until you disturb them or give them something 'fun'.
    But if you want a quiet even when excited, female duck, Muscovy is the way to go

7. baldwin5285

baldwin5285 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    I suggest welsh harlequins great egg layers and fairly quiet nice and pretty birds

8. countrygirl14

countrygirl14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Well all 9 of my ducks live in the barn and I only hear them when I'm trying to catch them. Every duck is different. If i forget to feed them then they will be pretty loud (keep in mind there are 9 of them only 5 of which are cayugas(4 rouens)) I always have to listen really closely to see if they even are making noise at all! And the Rouens a pretty loud.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree Muscovy as whole for either sex. After wards, depends frankly my buffs are noisy they babble about all the time, quack A LOT and you can hear them from quite the distance, they have my scovies thoroughly intrigued at their constant babble. My calls? the females are loud, she isn't that constant but for sure will let off a huge bunch of noise when the moment strikes her too.

Most ducks come night calm down and quiet down, i believe a natural instinct to protect themselves at night from preds. The duck you speak of, is she alone? i would find it odd for that noise to be so constant even the babbling buffs(as there now renamed lol) aren't come night the second they hear me however their off and continue quite often throughout the day, just a chatty duck ime.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    I agree with GQ something must not be quite right with duck to be quacking at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by