Quiet Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Matt A NC, May 28, 2010.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    This hatch was the quietest I have ever had. Wednesday I was sitting no more then 15 feet from the incubator and heard NOTHING. I didn't even know there were 3 babies in there. The normal "I'M FREE" screaming tells me I have another to take to a broody hen. Not this time. I just had to get up and check. Except for very soft peeps, there was no sound. I didn't think anything was going to hatch because I couldn't hear anything. I saw a pipped egg Tuesday night and realized something was going to hatch.

I did end up with 10 chicks out of 12 fertile eggs, plus another that hatched from an egg under "Mamma Hen". The one she hatched is a blue standard cochin from my show birds. The rest are Blue, Black, Splash Ameraucanas and 1 EE. The EE chick has already been named "Oops", since that egg was not supposed to be set. I only set the bluest of blue eggs, but I have 1 EE that lays a beautiful blue egg too. The EE hen is solid white and is in with my Blue Pure Ameraucana Rooster. The chick should show me what color is under the hen's white in her genetics.

[​IMG]
    The rest of the pictures can be seen here: Photobucket album

I didn't actually have to have any hatch under Mamma. If it peeps she will adopt it, feed it, and protect it. She is the best standard size broody there is. Mamma has used this box every year for the past 4 years. The far side on the broody box/coop opens down as a ramp to let her and the little ones out. The side panels come off for added ventilation. The bottom is wire, but I put a board in that covers most it while the babies are young. I have forgotten the shavings.

Matt

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Awesome... I hatched some blue black splash opringtons and I am just in love with thier coloring ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by