Quiet Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmyAnnette, Mar 12, 2007.

1. AmyAnnette

AmyAnnette New Egg

Mar 12, 2007
    I need to know what breed of hens are considered the quietiest. Our neighbor's master bedroom windows are where we were planning to put the chicken shed.
    Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry... I'm just thinking of all the strange noises that come from my yard...
    I think it just depends on the bird. The smallest chicken I have makes the biggest racket. I think I really only have one "quiet" chicken.

3. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
  4. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I should add that the more important having a quiet bird is to you, the more likely it is you'll get the LOUD exception to your chosen breed...!

5. CarriBrown

[​IMG]
    My loudest is Sasha, a Mille Fleur D'Uccle (Belgian D'Uccle). She sqwacks about EVERYTHING.
    [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't know if hens are that loud... I don't think my hens make very much noise at all... I have one bared rock, one RIR, two black sex links, one gold sex link, a silkie, and a pair of leghorns. Then again... I do have too many roosters. (5) and they are the only one's I hear at times if I pay attention. Maybe I'm going deaf.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

My girls are mostly quiet. A few are noisier than others and I can't find a consistency between them. I'm sure some breeds tend to be louder than others, but as mentioned above, there are individual differences as well.

My girls make the most noise when:

1) They just laid an egg
    2) They want to lay an egg and someone else is in their "special nest box"
    3) There is a cat lurking about

Other than that it is mostly quiet with a bit of clucking here and there.

8. CarriBrown

Quote:Don't forget number 4) Their friend just laid an egg. [​IMG]

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Quote:Totally true! [​IMG]

10. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Orpingtons have always seemed a little quieter to me. My noisiest hen is a black sex-link, but I'm not sure it's the case for others of her breed.

In summer when the sun comes up early I sometimes cover the window in the coop when I close the hens up for the night to help reduce early morning clucking. it's not foolproof, but I do think it helps.

Joan
    http://urban-agrarian.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by