1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quiet Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickens_in_utah, Nov 1, 2007.

1. chickens_in_utah

chickens_in_utah New Egg

Nov 1, 2007
    I know it may be a far cry, but I was wondering if anybody knows of any breeds of roosters that may be quieter than others. I have 4 sex link hens and they need a man to watch over them. [​IMG] I had a Red Cochin rooster and he was LOUD as all get out and the hens were much bigger than him, so the hens didn't look up to him for anything. The rooster met his demise due to unknown causes, so I need a replacement rooster. The dominant hen is trying to "crow" and it sounds awful.

Thanks in advance... [​IMG] It's good to be here.

2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have 2 EE's and neither one of them crow. I'm thinking about selling my young EE but I'm not sure, if I do I'll let you know if you would be interested.

3. chickens_in_utah

chickens_in_utah New Egg

Nov 1, 2007
    I'm not sure what an "EE" is... will you elaborate?

4. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    They are very colorful and the hens lay colored eggs. I'll get a pic if you would like.

5. chickens_in_utah

chickens_in_utah New Egg

Nov 1, 2007
    Please yes... what does EE stand for? Or is that the official breed name?

6. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    EE=Easter egger

[​IMG]

7. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
  8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

I honestly don't know of any breeds that have quiet roosters.
    They would be in very high demand for the flock keepers that live in the city or have neighbors that complain.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

10. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

My bantam cochin has a very quite crow, but from what I have read here is that this is not so much a "breed" issue as it is a random "personalty" issue. If you really feel the need for a roo why don't you just wait and give it time and try to find one here in "Buy - Sell - give away" or try craig's list or freecycle or petfinder and be VERY clear that you want a quite rooster or none at all. I think that would be the best way to go because its when they start to crow that they are ID'd as cockerel's and have to be rehomed.

I think if you are clear that you can not keep aloud one people will be more honest.......JMO

edited due to the fact that have has a v in it

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by