Quiet Roosters???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ihvpower, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    I have a flock of 13, all girls. I would LOVE to have a Rooster but live quite close to neighbors. Is there any breed of Rooster that is not as loud or incessant as the norm?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    processed? I know i am no help...fried works well as well...still no help...sorry

3. villa12345678910

villa12345678910 New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    I have a Silkie Bantam Rooster he's never said "cacadooledoo" once or has he made any noises.H has been wonderful and I live in the city and no neighbors have complained nor do they know he's there! Some Silkie Roosters I've read are noisy and some aren't. He has never tried to peck me and he is very loving. He's part of the family! [​IMG]

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

There are individuals who are quieter, but not a particular breed. My quietest is my Buff Orp.

5. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Thanks to you all...even the wise-guy [​IMG]

My favorites are my Buff Orpington Girls...maybe I can try a boy.[​IMG]

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    can I quote you as being wise? [​IMG] My mommy will never believe it! Neither will my wife or any of my friends... [​IMG]

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Don't anyone stone me for asking....I'm just curious.

Is there an operation that can render a rooster mute so they can be kept in the city and not end up in the stew pot?

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have three at present and they are all in "rooster" prison... an almost all covered pen.

The GC Maran is NEVER QUIET... he crows in the middle of the night.
    The Blue Ameraucana crows but quietly and not often.
    The big Partridge Rock crows occasionally but he's not that loud.

9. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Hello Ihvpower,

I better not be jinxing myself, but my Buff Orpington rooster is nearly 6 months old and RARELY crows. I live in town with neighbors all around and they say they have never heard my Roo. I was wondering if it is because he is the only male with 4 females? Not sure, but I am thankful....but IMO, a rooster crowing occasionally is WAY better than listening to annoying dogs barking all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and many times during the night Ihear my neighbors dogs).[​IMG]

Best wishes to you!

10. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I knew someone who owned a Buff Orpington Rooster, and they complained that he very rarely crowed. They wanted to hear more crowing.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by