Quiet Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PepsNick, Jul 8, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    What are some breeds of roosters that don't crow much, or breeds in which their crows aren't loud?

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    It seems to depend on the rooster as an individual... usually these threads turn into "I had a Buff Orpington/Rhode Island Red/Silkie/whatever and he rarely crowd!" and the next person says, "I had that same breed and he crowed ALL THE TIME"

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Oh, stupid me! Thanks. I guess I'll go sit at my friend's chicken farm with a bunch of roosters for a day and see who crows the most! Get that one! lol

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    If you go to the index page and then hit on breeds, you can view all the different types of breeds and look at their qualities. Some of them claim to be quiet. I am not sure if they are referring to crowing or to the egg song or what. Just thought I would throw that up for consideration. Actually I find it intriguing. I would like to find out about it, just in case I ever become an outlaw chicken farmer. As of now I am legit.

5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Okay, thanks. I found a few, like Barred Rocks and Slilkies. I'll keep looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by