Quiet Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DomiHentrix, Sep 27, 2008.

1. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    I know that all Roosters crow, however I read somewhere that some Roosters are particularly loud. Soo..are there any that are particularly quiet, or is that more individual than anything else?

2. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I have 2 brahma brothers and they could not crow more different. 1 is as loud as can be, while big brother is content to be very quiet. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It seems I've read a lot of posts lately about junior roos not crowing until they become the alpha. Of course, that means you'd need an alpha who crows. Mine are loud, loud, loud.

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I am afraid of how loud Iggy is going to be.[​IMG]
    He was a non stop "talker" when he was a chick. All day and all night. twitters and peeps. He isnt as talky now that they are outside,,, but I am dreading the crowing. I really want him to be "quiet" so I can keep him.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    My silkie rooster(s) is not as loud as my barred rock rooster is, my neighbor asked me one day if I had a screaming child out back, LOL !!!!

6. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Quote:LOL!! I wonder about my Henry (Barred Rock Rooster) he's only 6 weeks but soo quiet. I have no idea wqhat it will be like when he starts crowing! All his ladies seem more vocal than him. Even my three little chochins that I call The Supremes.

7. Pariz

Pariz New Egg

Sep 27, 2008
    I just got two chickens these are my forst ones I know I have a male and a female they bothare about 7 months old. I was wndering when do the males crow? Please tell me my little girls keep asking and I have no idea.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by