Quiet Silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skeyes, Feb 15, 2013.

1. skeyes

skeyes New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    My chicks are 2 days old. This is my first hatch so I'm learning as I go but, they seem very quiet. They are under a red heat lamp and was recently informed that red is soothing. Otherwise, they seem healthy. Eating and drinking. I don't mind one bit that they are quiet but, is this normal?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    are they huddled directly under or spread away from the heat, it may be too hot or too cold, also try giving you new chicks sips of yolk and water mixed for the first week. They have been living on yolk recently so it is okay, maybe give'm alittle scrambled egg too.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkie chicks are very quiet too. Every batch I've ever brooded has been, now that I think about it. My adults as well. I think it's just a trait you can attribute to the breed. If they aren't screaming their heads off and huddled (cold), panting and trying to get as far away from the heat source as possible (hot) and are eating and drinking, they're just fine. In fact, they're probably quite content :) I hear a few soft chirps from my brooder every now and then, but they aren't rambunctious like other breeds I've had. My chicks are a little over 2 weeks old, by the way.
    Nikki

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the silky hen I have is very mellow. Her name is Marilyn. I bought her from a feed store that had 80 breeds. she was actually older and slightly bigger than the other chicks I bought. She had poo stain on her wing and I thought that was why no one bought her. but she has been a great broody and has raise many batches of chicks, as a mother though I have found americana banties to be more aggressive and protective, mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by