Quiet, sweet tempered chicken breeds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by morgannn, May 7, 2016.

1. morgannn

morgannn Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    Hi guys, I'm new to BYC and I'm looking to get a few chickens. I need a breed that is super quiet so that they will not bother my neighbors because we have a small yard. They also need to be kid-friendly. I would love to have a chicken that I can pet and pick up. I know a lot of that depends on their handling as chicks, but I really want a docile breed. Also, I would like good egg production[​IMG] Thanks!!!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Wyandotte are said to be noisy. Rhode Island Red are human friendly but not what I'd call docile. Plymouth Rock or Orpington are a common, easy to obtain, breed that's docile and not very vocal. There are so many breeds out there it's hard to narrow down but I think sticking with what is usually found right at your feed store chick bins you wont go wrong with Orp or Plymouth. All birds have an egg song, all Plymouth I've had are not so loud on their own. With cock birds they will join in the chorus and really increase the volume of egg songs. You'll not experience that with all pullet flock as a crowing bird certainly doesn't meet your criteria.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

I have experience only with BO's and BR's - they are overall quiet ladies with soft sweet voices. But the egg laying songs can turn into a hilarious choir that I personally love to hear. Among every breed each individual can have unique personality - one of my BO's is quite loud when she wants my attention :)

But overall a small flock of hens is definitely quieter and less disturbance to neighbors than barking dogs.

You may already have done so, but with close houses IMO you should talk with your neighbors about your plans to get your flock and make sure there is no one opposing the idea.

Good luck with your plans and breed selection.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

It definitely depends on the individual chicken. Our buff orpingtons are both very quiet until they want out in the morning; then they are the loudest of our 10. One of our barred rocks is almost silent and the other can be heard down the street when she's just "talking" (and that is all day long and sounds like a goose). Our easter egger is almost silent until she lays an egg. She is then our loudest. A lot of times, when one starts bok-bok-ba-gawking, the others join in. That gets loud and surely can be heard a long way away.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Always forget the Easter Eggers. That's another docile breed and has bonus of various colored eggs from off white, pink, green, blue to brown. Being crossbreeds there is no telling what anyone of them will lay.

Edit: not a breed but type of bird. EE's are everywhere and what hatcheries sell as Ameracauna which they are not.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  7. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Of our hens the easter eggers and buff orpingtons are the quietest! Even when excited to see me, they all come running but dont get loud.
    We have a partridge rock that is very loud all the time. And like everyone else already said their egg song gets loud. But we have very close neighbors and it doesnt bother them. Their small dogs are definalty louder than the chickens.
    Edited to add also the easter eggers and buff orpington are the 4 most gentle natured pleasant and friendly.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  8. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

:welcome
    You have been given great advice so far! Of all our breeds, our Buff Orpingtons and Easter Eggers are our favorites! They are quiet, easy-going, good natured, and pretty good egg layers. We love the Easter Eggers colored eggs! Both of these breeds do go broody, especially the Buffs, but they have never been aggressive towards us when they are broody. A breed I don't suggest getting are Rhode Island Reds because they can be very aggressive and loud. Good luck and keep us updated on what breed you get!
    henny1129

9. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Agreed! My grampa had rhode island reds. Very Noisy and aggressive!

10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Bantams are petty quite and docile.
    Red sexlinks

I would say Newhampshires but their very loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by