Quieten Roosters?

Most vets will not decrow a rooster. The procedure to do so is likely to kill him. It is a very cruel thing to do as this is how the rooster alerts the hens to danger. He also will talk to his girls in other ways to show them where to eat or lay or to go to roost. You should rehome him if you can't keep him and enjoy him in all his natural glory.

Quote:
Thanks again for good information. That all makes sense.
Edit: Actually, I don't even have any chickens yet. Mine are all still in the eggs waiting to hatch.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Our oldest was watching the flock the other day and just started having a laughing fit. I asked him what was so funny and he said he was watching our roo Sampson try to crow but he was under neath an awning we made to keep snow out of an area of the run. The awning is high enough for everyone to walk under but not quite high enough for Sampson to fully extend his neck to let out his crow.
So maybe having a low roof for a run would work?

I just love your siggy AK-made me laugh so hard. If my dh had an account here, that's surely what his siggy would say!

Hello,

I too would like to get some roosters decrowed. I found a vet, Dr. Johnson, who said he can perform the procedure. His number: 909-981-2855 (free consultation w/coupon): website: vcahospitals.com
Earlier this year, someone shot and killed one of my two roosters, so I let the hens sit on their eggs, and now I have 25 roosters, black breasted red game roosters, that need homes, so I am thinking that if this procedure might help at least mute the sound, then perhaps more people, or many people, would be permitted to keep these wonderful creatures.

It may seem "cruel" to some people, but it is better to have a quiet voice and live with your hens and chicks in a "family" unit, than to end up dead in a cockfight, and be unwanted by municipal code ordinances.

Back
Top Bottom