Quieter breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by High Mountain Chic, Jan 3, 2010.

1. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    Hello Everyone!

It's been awhile since I've been on the forum, I hope everyone had a nice new year. My husband and I moved into a slightly larger house this fall (bigger than our 500 sq ft cabin) that is within city limits. We had to give our EEs to a friend on a ranch at the time. now new city rules will allow us to have hobby chickens! We are so excited to have chickens again! What I would like to know if anyone has an opinions on wether some breeds are quieter than others? I don't want to drive my neighbors crazy. About 1/2 of our EEs were quiet and the other 1/2 were so loud I though for sure I had roos on my hands. I should also mention that we live in Leadville Colorado and have long, cold, but sunny winters, so I need a cold hardy breed too. Thanks for the help and glad to be back!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My quietest is my EE followed by my light brahma. My BR is by far my loudest. My welsummer pullets are quiet (I love their trilly sound), but they haven't reached POL yet. (only 10 weeks old)

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Agreed. My EE is very quiet. I'm down in New Mexico, so not as much snow but cold ad sunny. She does fine.

4. Spore

Spore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Oregon
    My barred rocks sure like to chat me up. My neighbors barred rock is the chattiest of his flock too. His RIR does not make a sound though.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My RIR is quiet EXCEPT for the egg song. She's so darn loud when she wants to announce the arrival of her egg.

6. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    My LOUDEST was an EE. She had to go to a farm in the country since I'm in the city too, and try to keep my chickens hush hush.

Others that were too noisy to stay have been a Cochin, a Silkie, an Australorp, and a Black Sex-Link.

My quietest are my other EE, a BO, a Cuckoo Marans, a SLW, and a Wheaten Ameraucana.

Medium noisy are my Blue Wyandottes, BR's and California White.

I advise getting a couple more that you need or want so you can give the loud ones away and still have your desired number.

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    RIR are quiet and cold hardy

8. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    My quietest is the white rock. My Buff Orp on the other hand.... very talkative.

9. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    Thanks so much! Nice to know which ones are chatty. I think I will get more EEs and hope for the best!

10. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I would say my gold lace wyandottes are the quietest but of the 50 I bought last year, there's one who talks more than a tween with unlimited minutes on her cell phone. She has an opinion on everything and everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by