Quietest, calmest, tamest breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by plot_thickens, Dec 30, 2008.

1. plot_thickens

plot_thickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Which breeds are the quietest, calmest, least likely to tick off my neighbors? We'll be having only hens.

A followup question would also likely be 'is it nature or nuture'?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Cubalaya. [​IMG]

3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Chanteclers. They are very calm, quiet and reserved, are polite to the neighbors and give them gifts of eggs.

I recommend them highly.

Wayne

4. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:definitely nurture ~ you reap what you sow, in all things, is my belief, whether it's kids, family, friends, garden or animals.

We have about 8 or 9 different breeds, and while I will say that the dark brahma hen seems the sweetest, she has also been the most doted on. As to the rest of the chickens, they are all sweet, they all rush you for goodies, & if you handle them kindly when young, they will not peck you when you collect eggs ( at least, ours never have).

If they have room to move around, & their run gets cleaned periodically, if they are well-fed & well-watered ~ they will give you many years of chicken tv joy ~ ;-D And if you are looking for pet purposes only, the brand name won't matter ~

now if you are looking for egg production, it's a whole 'nother ball o' wax. ;-D
    ~Red

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I will second this and add that Cochins are just as tame and easy to deal with usually.

6. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    A second vote for cochins.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My wyandottes are calm and probably one of my quietest breeds.

8. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    SUSSEX. Even my rooster has not yet crowed.

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    My Cochin is the quietest, but also the shy one. Always has been since she was a chick. I have been working with her:read sitting in the coop/run and just hanging out.
    I also have 3 Buff Orps. One which is at my feet the minute I open the door. She has ALWAYS been this way. Again, since she was a day old chick. And I dont bring them treats constantly. Just food and water. I have another BO that is nearly as "bad" And my other BO is getting better, but not to the point Audrey and Olivia are. Then there is my BA Natalie. [​IMG] Getting better, but is definitely head hen

All have gotten the same amount of attention since they were day old chicks.
    Nature? Nurture?
    Each has their own personality. Luck of the draw

10. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    My Rhode Island Red were noisy but my Rhode Island White are very quite..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by