1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quietest Duck Breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by new2chickens2011, Dec 31, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to ducks..wanting to get a few. What are the quietest breeds? I live in the city and don"t want tooooo much noise. I have a few chickens, and they aren't too loud. Are ducks louder than chickens?
    Thanks!

2. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I have two Cayuga drakes. They don't "quack" unless you approach them and them stop shortly after. I also heard that the Muscovies are very quiet but they fly

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:If I might interject something here; Drakes don't quack very loudly compared to the hens. Have you had any hens? I've heard that they are rather silent. I had a cayuga ducklet that I had to hand raise, but she died before puberty so I actually don't know for myself how silent she was. Rouens I know are very silent. Breeds that aren't silent:
    -Orpingtons
    -Pekins
    -Bessemers
    -Swedes
    -Campbells
    -Calls (of course)

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Muscovy dont quack at all.

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:Yeah, that's right. We've had scobies for a few years, and since they aren't technically even a duck, it seems fitting that they don't quack. They do hiss alot. And I hate their 'additude', always trying to kill things or mate with chickens or running into solid objects. I don't like those treeducks. If I ever become one of those fanciers who has all those exotic duck species, I'm not getting treeducks.

6. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Muscoveys are very quite, sweet and smart, I think!!!!

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The only quiet ducks are Muscovy. All other ducks are noisy.

There is a constant low murmur coming from the flock of ducks and the females will blast out the occasional very loud string of quacks for no reason that I can see. There is always a huge loud hullabaloo whenever they see me coming out.

Drakes are not too loud, volume-wise. They chatter a lot, but it isn't loud. However, I recommend that you not add drakes to a flock of chickens. They would need to be separated. Without their own ducks, the drakes will attempt to make girlfriends of your hens.

8. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:If I might interject something here; Drakes don't quack very loudly compared to the hens. Have you had any hens? I've heard that they are rather silent. I had a cayuga ducklet that I had to hand raise, but she died before puberty so I actually don't know for myself how silent she was. Rouens I know are very silent. Breeds that aren't silent:
    -Orpingtons
    -Pekins
    -Bessemers
    -Swedes
    -Campbells
    -Calls (of course)

Well I haven't had hens, no, but I researched and it says the breed, both male and female are good for urban areas because they are a quiet breed.

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Muscovies are ducks, they are sweet, gentle and don't quack.

10. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    since they aren't technically even a duck

then why does every other BYCer on here post pics and talk about them in the duck forum?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by