Quietest duck Metzer Farms offers

Ally Rose

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
NJ
Im still on the hunt for a quiet duck. I dont care what size they are anymore so any suggestions are welcomed as long as they are available at Metzer Farms. If you have never ordered from metzer farms or do not know what breeds they have, here is a list:

Rouen
Buff
Blue Swedish
White layer
Fawn and white runner
White crested
Jumbo Pekin
Golden 300 hybrid
pekin
khaki campbell (i bet these are the quietest)
Black Swedish
Cayuga
Welsh harlequin (love these)
Mallard {I need a permit to own these so dont pay attention to it
Black/Blue/Chocolate runners

Any ideas of which ones are quietest? are welsh harlequins quiet? THANKS!!!
tongue.png

I have WH and Cayuga ducklings, 5 weeks old. WH are not outrageously noisy, IMO, but are definitely more vocal than the Cayugas. Cuyaga's are pretty low key, so far. Time wiill tell, though.

You might want to think about getting ducks with calm temperaments, too. I haven't had all these breeds, but it would be my guess that the mellower breeds would quack less often, because less disturbs them. It's seemed to be true with the breeds I've had anyway.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that theory?

Last edited:
My WH girls will not QUACK unless something is wrong.... Like a drake that they don't know comes near them. Otherwise they do the chatter. No loud quacks.

My WH girls will not QUACK unless something is wrong.... Like a drake that they don't know comes near them. Otherwise they do the chatter. No loud quacks.

My WH female from Metzer's in the loudest duck I've ever owned! She quacks for her breakfast, dinner, anytime someone pulls down the driveway - she drives my husband crazy. Maybe she's an exception to the breed, though?

Cayuga and Blue Swedish are LOUD and frequent quackers too, I've discovered. They have powerful, resonating voices. On the plus side, they are gentle.

My WH female from Metzer's in the loudest duck I've ever owned! She quacks for her breakfast, dinner, anytime someone pulls down the driveway - she drives my husband crazy. Maybe she's an exception to the breed, though?
Maybe. Mine will QUACK! when they see me coming with food, or when a drake is chasing them down to mate them. Other wise they are pretty quiet.... My rouen hen from there is a LOUD MOUTH!!!!!

I spoke to Guillermo, my farm manager that helps pick up eggs six days a week. His top four quietist/calmest are 1) Welsh Harlequin, 2) Mallard, 3) Buff and 4) Blue Swedish. Hope this helps! John Metzer

Back
Top Bottom