Quietest & Friendliest Duck Breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nickcole, Mar 10, 2017.

1. nickcole

nickcole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    Hello,

We are looking to add some ducks to our collection. Right now we have call ducks, which are very loud for our neighborhood. What are the quietest & calmest & friendliest duck breeds? Thanks for any advice.

2. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    i believe Muscovy ducks are called the quack less duck, but should be noted i have read that they can be mean well the males that is.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

All Ducks breeds have their quirks...lol...;).......I do not know of any quiet Ducks...All hens can be big mouths.....;)....

Cheers!

4. Batduck46

Batduck46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2017
    With my family
    muscovies :p

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I can only speak for the breeds I have, and of them, the Cayugas are hands down the loudest. They seem to trigger the other ducks who then start quacking loudly too. My Welsh Harlequin is probably the most skittish of my ducks, but none of mine are really very skittish or very friendly. I don't care though. They are funny and beautiful and and make me breakfast. Enough said. :)

6. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    My exhibition Rouens are friendly and pretty quiet, great big slow movers, surprisingly on the quiet side. My jumbo Pekin ducks are the loudest and they never shut up, and they are skiddish and wary of humans. Got rid of 2 hens before the neighbors put out a bounty.

1 person likes this.
  7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Muscovy and they are very quiet...but I think they may retain more "wild" characteristics than other breeds.

Further, I have multiple drakes and none are "mean". They do have dominance squabbles among themselves, but they've exhibited no aggression toward me (which I can't say about some of the roosters I've had).

8. Batduck46

Batduck46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2017
    With my family
    :eek: I have heard that Cayugas are the quietest...

9. Krazyquilts

Ha! That is so funny! "Before the neighbors put out a bounty." :lau

My husband keeps saying that he cannot wait for us to get our farm in the county where we don't have to cringe every time the ducks start sounding off. I almost like the colder weather because it keeps the little stinkers a bit quieter. Not quiet, mind you, but slightly quieter.

10. Krazyquilts

I'll see what I can do about getting a video of them. I certainly won't have to wait very long lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by