Quietest roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KDOGG331, Oct 21, 2017.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Crossing the Road

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I know that noise is highly subjective and variable because what bothers one person might not bother another and not all roosters are the same BUT can anyone tell me what might be some of the quietest breeds for roosters?

Quietest being both noise level/volume but also, especially, frequency of crowing. I mean, a rooster could crow 5000 times a day if it was a whisper and I couldn't hear it or he could crow once a day but have a crow that could be heard for like 5 miles you know? So I'm looking for something in between. One that doesn't crow too frequently or too loud. Preferably not too early either but I don't think that's predictable.

ANYWAY.

I, again, know that it's highly variable and probably not even predictable and I might not even get a rooster but we have close neighbors in the back so I'm looking for suggestions on quiet breeds of roosters. Maybe breeds that are maybe known to frequently have quieter roosters or maybe you have a quiet rooster, etc.

Oh and also while we're at it, preferably one that is calm and gentle too or at least won't attack me and is a gentleman to the girls as well. One who can still protect the girls would be nice too.

He could be the quietest rooster in the world but I'm not going to keep him if he attacks me or anyone in the family or is a jerk to the girls.

Thanks

2. mgbantams

mgbantams Chirping

Oct 19, 2017
    From my expirience, Dutch bantams have quieter crows than most other breeds, and don't crow to early in the morning. They have a calm temperament, and don't pick fights with other chickens. If you want bantams, I would recommend Dutch bantams.

KDOGG331 likes this.
  3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, that's helpful. Would they do okay with full size chickens? Maybe being a rooster would help? I have 8 full size hens. 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Easter Eggers. A couple of the Orpingtons are actually pretty small but the other birds are big birds

4. mgbantams

mgbantams Chirping

Oct 19, 2017
    Dutch bantam roosters are only about 21 ounces, so they might be too small for your flock. I would recommend a full sized rooster. And it might be difficult for you to find a rooster that gets along well with your two year old hens. It's best if they grow up together.

5. HeidiEmbrey

HeidiEmbrey Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Florida
    I read the smaller a chicken is the smaller its voice is and that bantam roosters have tiny crows ..other than that dunno..good luck :)

6. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hmmm that might be a bit small.. and really? Well that stinks. If I got one I was thinking of getting chicks with a few other birds and integrate them all together or I might let a broody hatch some eggs and just keep a male. I have one that keeps going broody lol

Thanks, that helps

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    In my experience roosters of any breed can be loud...or not so loud. It really depends on the bird. Ditto for frequency of crowing.

Have you considered a "No Crow" collar?

I have used one on my Barnevelder rooster for the last 3 years with great success. It greatly cuts down both the volume and frequency of crowing. My Barney wears his without a fuss and still keeps the ladies happy. He eats, drinks, and woos his girls in bliss.

The collar sits around the rooster's neck like a dog collar. When snug, so the rooster can't rub it off, it prevents the swelling of the loose skin sack at the base of the neck that allows the rooster to crow loudly...just like the bag on a bagpipe works.

You have to fiddle with the collar for a few days. First put it on somewhat loosely (but not so the bird can get it off or snag it on something), then let the rooster get used to it. He will try to back out of it for a bit, but mine settled pretty quickly (especially as I gave him frozen corn as a treat when I put it on as a reward). Then tighten and watch closely the next day. Adjust if the noise is not at the volume you like. You obviously have to be careful that you don't get it too tight so that it chokes the bird or so loose that he catches it on something. Follow the instructions that come with the collar, and you should be fine.

I have tried to make home made ones, but I find the ones I get from My Pet Chicken to work the best. Their collar has lasted 2 years now with NO issues. (I do check periodically to make sure all is well...and I've never had any issues with skin or feathers).

Anyway, one way to go about it if you need a quieter roo.

LofMc

https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...AtgWJOl4dIHmfsBIe1strWatFh5-QeNBoCEScQAvD_BwE

8. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for all that info LofMC! I've thought about it but then I wasn't sure how safe or humane it was for long term use, especially restricting air. But maybe it just restrict extra air for volume and not breathing?

But also I just remembered I think my dad is worried about eating fertilized eggs so I guess that might rule out a rooster. But he also acknowledges the benefits so maybe now. Think it just grosses him and the fam out lol

Also, do your roos ever break up fights/squabbles between the girls?

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Fertilized eggs have no obvious visual difference and no taste difference. There is no chick started unless the egg is incubated for 24 hours to start embryo growth....so just gather eggs regularly.

Yes. My rooster keeps hen squabbles muted. He also protects new mommas and babes. A good roo is worth his weight in gold and a joy to watch with the flock.

A poor roo is worth only adding to the stew pot, so only keep good roos.

LofMc

SeaPolka and JedJackson like this.
  10. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    My Turkish Aseel is so much quieter than my Silkie and Ayam Cemani, he crows maybe twice a day, it's quieter and lasts the best part of two seconds. I find my silkies crow is terribly annoying. He's good with his girls and other young cockerels and protects them but you do have to raise them from chicks as they can become very very over protective of the hens and that leads to aggression. He always goes running to see what's wrong when the hens start arguing. He's now tall enough for me to bend down and hug him, he's so sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by