quietest roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frizzleman74, Jun 18, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i live in an urban area and i would love a rooster to add to my flock because i feel like i owe it to the hens to give them a protector. Are there any breeds that are known for being quieter then others? thanks!

2. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I too need to know! I have Roos and live in a large urban neighborhood and I sort of snuck in chickens with neighbors saying it was fine. So far my rhode island red is beginning to crow but he's not obnoxious about it and nobody minds it. But he's only 16 weeks old too.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think the BIGGEST complaint with a crowing rooster, is A. how close are you to it? Cause a crow off in the distance is kind of country, but up close it can be obnoxious B. Is he crowing in the middle of the night?

My EE roo crows quite a bit in the morning, about sunrise, and then occasionally during the rest of the day. He never crows at night, but my top roost, where he has to set (of course) is about 14 inches from the ceiling. He cannot stretch up to his full height to crow. He could if he was on the roost one step down, but he is the top man, and needs the top place. Works for both of us.

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by