quietest roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erinm, Aug 11, 2008.

1. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    In everyones experience which are the quietest roosters? ErinM

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    All roosters have different personalities which their frequent crowing depends on. My quietest was a RIR and i KNOW someone will disagree with that. [​IMG]

3. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    My white cochin roo is 23 wks old and has never said a loud word unless my husband has picked him up for some male bonding. He complains loudly about that!![​IMG]

My dutch bantams on the other hand rarely shut up![​IMG] One has taken to flying up onto my husbands shoulder or hat to crow. It's not to bad on his head but when he's standing right next to his ear, oh man [​IMG]:mad:

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I have a Black Australorp and an EE that don't crow, yet. They are 4-5 months. The EE is very quiet, almost shy.

5. jgranddoucet

jgranddoucet New Egg

Mar 22, 2008
    Jerusalem, VT
    I have a four month old wyandotte and he is quieter than my hens are. I'm sure he'll find his voice some day. If not, lucky for us. The coop is right under our bedroom window!

6. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I was told that a larger roo wouldn't crow as much - and also one that didn't have to share his hens with any other roos. I have a Jersey Giant who doesn't crow too much, but he is only 3 months old. I suspect I also have a BLR wyandotte roo also, but I haven't heard him crow yet.
    I am a first time chicken owner and am just waiting and seeing!

7. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    my buff silke roo has a pretty quiet crow compared to other roosters. He is as loud as a dog barking. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by