"QuileutePJerrie" [Quileute Prairie Jerrie], a new BYC member,saying 'HEY' my first day!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by QuileutePJerrie, May 5, 2017.

1. [​IMG]
    Hello to all BYC Members!
    [To clarify: I "co-own and care for the chickens, turkeys, and we will be getting goats", but I DO NOT 'own' any property 'out here'. I volunteer, with the Llamas and I am the Llama Trainer; I work with the cabins; ... I am a friend. This is a 'family trust': the land is. I am not a member of the family.
    QP Jerrie]

My name is Jerrie, QPJerrie and I found you folks online today, doing a quick 'google' search on "how soon can I put my new chicks outside". I read a few things, found a forum on the subject, and decided to join-up!!!
    I am so pleased to find you. I am new to chicken raising as of last spring, 2016. I was visiting a cousin in a neighboring town and gathering eggs for her. She has a 5 acre farm, with chickens, ducks, and geese of many varieties. She does not want any more chicks, yet I discovered a little hen who had successfully sat on 14 of her eggs, and had 14 brand new chicks! Cousin didn't want them. I did! I took them home to the Farm where I volunteer and co-own and now raise chickens and turkeys. Those 14 chicks went into the deep and high claw footed tub, with a heat lamp, litter, feed and water. They are doing great!
    I found out I love having chickens, and turkeys, yet I have much to learn, and so I am glad to be here. I have two hens 'setting', on eggs, and a couple more laying. Their eggs vary from light blue, to pink, to beige, to one laying white. I now have Kentucky Bourbon Reds, a Heritage turkey, and Royal Palms, another Heritage: two pair who breed, of each (I need to learn my terms!), and three sets of their chicks, one of which is a hen who has begun to lay eggs. So three turkey hens are laying. We have 15 turkeys, 11 chickens of the original 14, 24 of our eggs in an incubator, and 14 chicks I just purchased, in our "brooding tub"
    I built the Coop that is my Avatar. My hens are laying in dairy cases with plywood atop and leaned up against, with hay or straw. I have yet to build laying boxes for my turkeys. They free graze as a mixed flock. I have separated the Coop, one side for chickens, one for turkeys. I keep the door to the small chicken yard propped to "chicken width", so the turkeys cannot get into the chicken area. They free graze and have access to all 175 acres. I am also the Llama Trainer, here: we have a herd of over 50 llamas, which is a large herd for the United States~! We just put up my Holding and Catching Pens for the llamas, and soon I will begin training the llamas to a harness and lead. Excited times. Oh, we have two Runner Ducks that decided they live at a residence near ours on the same Farm, instead of with us!
    This should be enough for now. I am still new to having chickens and turkeys and I know I will learn much, with all of you folks! Please Welcome me.. .;)
    Talk soon!

Quileute Prairie Jerrie
    of Forks, Washington

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jerrie

Glad you could join us here! Great intro and I've loved reading more about you and your birds :D

Good luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great to meet you Jerrie, you seem to have a way with animals. I am curious about your llamas. Do you show them? [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jerrie and welcome to our community.

5. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Hi Jerry, I see you found us here in the Welcome area where you did a great introduction. I can't wait to see some of the other pictures you have taken. As well as some pictures of the baby chicks and other animals your working with. What breeds of chickens do you have in the incubator as well as breeds you purchased. I want blue eggs to. LOL

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Jerrie [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

7. Hello, Teila, from Down Under!
    Thank you for the greeting and the Welcome :) . I am so happy to be here, and to be able to read and to learn from so many others! The resources are great. It is a wonder .... !
    Thank you, again!

8. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hi "Chilin 'With My Peeps"! Good Morning, as well, to you.
    Happy to hear from you! Well, I am just learning breeds ... and I will take new pictures of my new chicks, perhaps after I refresh their 'tub' today (great idea!)! I have 5 White Leghorn chicks (had six but one died right after bringing it home. Will check with the Feed Store where I purchased them as do not know policy on that). They are tiny, and at least one is a feisty little thing. The other new chicks are a little older and developing a few feathers, and they are Wyandotte's ( is this spelling correct, or am I way off?!). I don't have it written down, so I need to look them up in your breed section, here (our). They will be speckled, black and white. I move steadily and slowly while I tend to them, and I talk to them, calling to them when I change their water and feed. Chicks love 'sour milk', and it is good for them. As I didn't have any, I put yogurt in a lemon squeezer dish (I have two small plastic ones, and they make a great little feeder dish for chicks treats or water). I put some on my finger, and showed them the dish, calling "chick chick chick ...", ) .... their curiosity did the rest and the yogurt was eaten readily and with eager gusto!
    My original chicks, which are now grown, are a mix. I got them from my cousin. The one that lays light blue eggs is black, speckled with gold, and so I call her Pepper, 'Pepsi', for short! My cousin knows the breeds that she has, well. I will text her today, describe Pepper to her, and she probably will have an answer, which I will pass on to you, happily. My chickens, the ones I got from Angela, are all friendly and curious. One was a small and colorful rooster that would always stay by me, talk to me, show me things on the ground, and would let me reach right down, pick him up, and carry him around, with no struggling at all. Something 'not good' happened to him one day, and I will not say on here what I think happened. Sadly, he is gone. My eggs from those chickens look like Easter Eggs in a basket. I love having chickens! Their personalities are amazing.
    I need to say, that the eggs in our incubator are from our original chicks, and I did put turkey eggs in there. I am experimenting .... . From what I understand, anyway, turkey chicks LEARN from chicken chicks (I will learn proper terms, soon:). I have read that turkey chicks are slower on the uptake when it comes to learning to eat and to drink, and that they take to eating and drinking earlier when with chicken chicks. They should begin hatching soon. .... Need to put rabbit wire around the chicken yard, today, as I have two hens setting on nests of their eggs in the chicken coop. I will also put some short sections of pipe near their yards, so hens and chicks may run into them, as we have huge eagles and hawks out here on the Quileute Prairie. They have been flying over looking for spring snacks. Well, no chicks will be eaten for lunch on my watch, if I can help it! The chicken and the turkey yards are covered with wire.
    Must run! Stay in touch? I would like that. I need breakfast now, and some coffee!
    Later, Then,
    QP Jerrie
    PS I "co-own and care for the chickens, turkeys, and we will be getting goats", but I DO NOT 'own' any property 'out here'. I volunteer, with the Llamas and I am the Trainer. This is a 'family trust', the land is. I am not a member of the family.

9. Hello, "Drumstick Diva"!

Thank you.

On the llamas, we do not show them yet. I plan on it, in the future, when we are ready. We had some unfortunate setbacks, here on the Farm, this last year, and "haying" of course, which I took part in for the first time in my life. It was grrrreeaaat! Haying takes precedence, as the weather and the hay will wait for no man! Though I still work with the llamas, the training program was delayed: the purchasing and the setting up of the holding and catching pens had to wait, and the next steps of training waited as well. Llamas are amazing. They are highly intelligent. They 'choose' to 'work' with you! We establish a relationship and work and play together. In short, soon I will begin giving them treats ((they love Wet COB (Corn/Oats/Barley w molasses)), inside their Catching and Holding Pen, while leaving the gate open. Then, I will bring a few into the Holding area, close the gates, then take one into the Catching Pen, and do a 'catch-and-release', repeating that for a short session, then repeat the same procedure in sessions with one or two more llamas, taking from the Holding area, to the Catching Pen, one at a time. Then, I'll leave the gate open, bringing them in and doing the training sessions two to three times a week. After they get used to being 'held', which they will, I will begin introducing the harness, after that, the lead, and teach them to be led. Later will come 'getting in and out of vehicles', for transport, as well as teaching them to pull a cart. They learn easily and quickly, nor do they forget. They are social, like human beings, and are curious, wanted to learn new things and see new territory. Thank you for asking about them .... ! Oh, I will be getting them used to being groomed, too! They usually have twigs and hay or grass stuck into or wound into their wool. I have rescued two, a cria (a baby llama, Spanish for "baby"), and an adolescent, from barbed wire they had become entangled in.
    I take Volunteering seriously and this is an ongoing amazing experience, of which I am privileged to be a part! If it is alright (I don't know, right now), I will post a picture or two of the llamas. I learn as much or more from animals as they, from me.

Again, ~Thank You~
    QP Jerrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by