Quilt Help, Please! Log Cabin Finish-Out.....IT'S FINISHED! NEW PICS!!!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
This log cabin bed quilt cannot be larger than 90 x 108, which is the size of the batting I have for it. Currently, the design is 70.5" square. The blocks are actually 12", including the 1/4" seam allowances all around, so finished blocks end up being 11.5". If I add a round of blocks, I've exceeded the 90" width of the batting (it's Hobbs 80/20 black and I don't have anymore of it to piece it to extend). Length is no problem; I'd actually need more length, which is easily fudged by larger borders on top and bottom.

How would you finish out this quilt? I guess I could add a row of log cabin blocks to the top and bottom only, then border it somehow. Suggestions from my fellow expert quilters? (well, I'm no expert, but some of you are!)

On the design wall (which wasn't big enough for the last row, LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful!

Do you have batting that is the same weight as your Hobbs leftover from another project? You can piece batting by whip-stitching pieces together to they just touch. Or you can use a wide zig zag on your machine and carefully but the 2 straight edges together.
Not too tight so there is a seam and not too loose so there is a gap.

You can also have the batting just on the center that will be on top of the bed so the borders drape. You can use interfacing to give it some substance without bulk.

Last edited:
I may have a long strip of batting that I could add to the side of the Hobbs, though it isn't black. I'll have to check. I'm sure I had some extra 80/20 of a different manufacturer and I've pieced batting before, just been years since I've had to.

I found a strip about 6" wide and way longer than my mattress, so I think I could do that. That would make it 96" and probably just barely big enough. I'll see if maybe I have a wider strip that is long enough in my scraps.

ETA: nope, that is the only one I have. Hmm. Well, since I think I'll at least need to add some more blocks, better get to work on making those. I'll need at least 12 if I add a row to top and bottom, more if I add them all-round. I could do a 2" border to frame, then a 6" border on top of that, which will add 16" to the width and length.

What if I added a strip of blocks to top and bottom, which just stretches out the design (aren't log cabins great?) and then add a 2" border, then a 4" border?

Last edited:
Thanks, Kathryn. It shouldn't, I agree, especially since it will be on the edge hanging over the side.

Gosh, the forum was weird. Before I logged in, it said I posted this thread at just after 6 a.m., which couldn't be since I didn't get up until almost 7:30 a.m.. Now, it has the right time on it. What is up with that? Geez, gremlins again.

AH, wait! I'm betting it was on west coast time before I logged in with my EST preference. I need more sleep, LOL

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't worry about making the batting wider, that is unless you want a wider quilt.

In the second picture, where the quilt underneath it shows along the edge, I think a dark green border like that would finish the quilt nicely. You could do a wide border, or a couple of borders of the quilt colors to finish it off to the right width. You have about 9 inches that you could fill with borders.

I'd at least like it to go over the edge a good bit on Ellie's mattress, which is about 50% thicker than mine, but I think I may just add a row of blocks on top and one on bottom to add length, then a simple border and call it a day. I have made three of the 12 blocks I need-have to do it one at a time, since each one has a definite placement next to another and I must make sure the reds and/or greens are not butted up to the same exact fabric of the next block. No chain piecing to make it go faster on these last few.

I did finish the quilting on the Courthouse Steps bed runner, but I need to finish Ellie's quilt top to see how many reds are left, maybe enough to bind the bed runner, before I can complete that project.

Won't adding another row of blocks on one side and a long the top or bottom, make the over all design not work?

It should still work. Here is a quilt I found online that has one extra row top and bottom, exactly as I'm proposing to do, and the same diamond design in the block arrangement:

and another one, same deal, 6 rows across, but 8 down:

Back
Top Bottom