Quilt Prices

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Okla-doodle-doo, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I am thinking of trying to sell some of my quilts on craigslist. Mine are all hand swen,usually what I call a "lap" quilt,approx. 55-60 wide and 6- 6 1/2 ft long. How much do think I should ask for them. I'm thinking starting out at say $50. Is that to ridiculously high? Opinions please.

2. paulsmuffen

paulsmuffen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Jacksonville,NC
    I have a friend that sells quilts as a business, a quilt that size starts at $350.00, she has sold several for $2,000, of course those a twins and queens and are quilted on a quilt machine. I hope this is helpful.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, don't think of yours as Walmart quality. Those are badly sewn, the quilting can look like a semi-blind 5 yr old did it, and the batting is awful, if there is even any in there.

I have sold queen size ones for well over $200. Lap quilts may start at $50, but that's the bare minimum, and it depends on the degree of hand quilting in them. You are basically giving away your time anyway.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    For that size quilt I would say you can get at least $100 for them, depending on the level of detail in the quilt. Try to factor in your time making the quilt. If one pattern takes particularly longer to do, charge more for the quilt. Also, always remember it is easier to lower your prices than it is to start out low and higher them as you go.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    $50 doesn't seem like very much for a quilt, especially considering the time it takes to make one! Where I live a hand sewn smaller quilt would go for at least $200 or $250, if not more.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd start at $125.00

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You should keep track of the material and other costs and also your time when figuring in the amount. If you used really nice fabric, you could sell it for more money.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Gauge your area.
    Like people above say, get something for your time.

I sell my laps for $100 to $200 depending on the cost of fabric and difficulty of pattern. I am not trying to make a living, just to keep me in fabric.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by