Quilters - can you help me figure how much fabric?

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I found a pattern I really like and looks easy enough for me to get started on a queen sized quilt http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_804/

I
plan to put rooster print in the middle 4 inch square, a barnyard red for the triangles/squares that have color, and then a cream/beige sort of color for the rest.

I'm planning that the blockswill cover only the top of the queensize bed, and that would come to 32 squares as best as I can figure (4 12" squares for the width and 6 12" squares for the length 4 X 6 = 32 - did I do that right?)

Then I would put about 18" skirting on the sides and bottom.

My question is this - how do I figure out how much yardage I need of each of the fabrics I order? Is there some sort of formula I can use to figure this out?

Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks,
Penny

O.K. I am going to try and help you here.

For the Rooster square at 4" you will need about 1 yard of fabric that is about 45" wide.

And at least and not less than 2 yards of the barnyard red for the triangles.

For the cream color rectangles you probably need no less than 2 1/2 to 3 yards for that, (to be on the safeside)

Then the skirting down the sides. I would measure that and then divide that by 2. I know you are probably not going to want seams where the fabric wasn't long enough. So you need to get at least 3 yards of fabric for that and then you can cut that in half lengthwise. But if you wan the skirting at the foot also you will have to add on more yardage.

I hope I am making sense to you and not trying to be so confusing
smile.png
It is always best to have extra fabric than not to have enough.

PM me if you need to.

Last edited:
For the Rooster square

1 yard is 36" / 36 divided by 4= 9 / 1 yard of fabric is usually 45" wide so 45" divided by 4= 11 / So you can get 99 4 inch squares out of 1 yard of fabric. But if it is wider (some is 60" wide) you can get more.

I think I have this right
smile.png

The math sounds right, the only thing I would question is the rooster print. Are you going to fussy cut the rooster print so an image is centered on the block or is this an all over type of print and it can be cut any where?

I do plan on being a little fussy about that. But I found some material that has 1 1/2 inch roosters and the center that I'll use them on is 4 inches. They don't need to be exactly centered, but I don't want a bunch of chopped off roosters on them. Mostly a couple or so that are whole. So I don't think it will take too much to insre that. Make sense?

Penny

Quote:
Makes sense to me...I can't wait to see these fabrics, they sound like they will make a beautiful quilt.

Back
Top Bottom