Quilters....I need advice.

kbarrett

Songster
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
PA
So I am an amateur quilter (at best) and with my second quilt I've made a big boo boo.
hide.gif
I never prewashed my fabric
hide.gif

There is lots of white & dark colors and I'm so afraid of ruining it!

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and here's a pic...

newquilt.jpg

wash in gentle cycle with cold water, use a mild detergent and do not dry in dryer. hopefully it will be ok, we have all done it - not prewashed our deep colors!!

Quote:

That is so pretty.....and I know what you mean by not washing fabrics first.....done it!!

Also, Come on over to the 2009 quilt block a month swap. All you have to do is a block a month. It's a lot of fun.....hope to see you there.
smile.png

Amd again, great job
thumbsup.gif

That's a beautiful quilt!

I've been where you are! I washed in cold water and laid it out to dry. I also agree with what's been said about a mild detergent. I remember reading somewhere that adding vinegar helps set the colors. I don't know if it is true or not, but when I wash my new fabrics I always add in a little vinegar where the bleach goes.

Hope that helps.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone!!!

I still can't believe I forgot, actually it didn't even cross my mind. The first quilt I made was of my sons' baby clothes & old sheets so it was never an issue.

I have longingly browsed the block swap threads and I will eventually sign up. I'm just short on time right now as DS & I spend Sun thru Thur nights back on my grandfathers farm since my grandmother passed away in November. He's 94 and I really don't want him to go to a home, he was born in that house and doesn't want to leave it. I love it back there but it's difficult to keep up around here, working full time, school stuff with DS and make the 9pm curfew for bedtime at grandpa's
gig.gif

But one day I will join, you all do such beautiful work!!!
My stepson is engaged, they're not sure if they're getting married this Oct. or the next but I would like to make them a quilt as a wedding gift.

Thanks again for the advice!

I have no advice to give (it looks like you've already received what you needed anyways
wink.png
) but I wanted to tell you that your quilt is just gorgeous! Thanks for posting it! It has inspired me!
smile.png

Very nice work on your quilt. If the fabrics are 100% cotton you may not have to worry about the dark colors bleeding.

Without pre-washing when you do wash the quilt it will pull and pucker and crinkle. When you dry it the fabrics will become soft and look as if it is decades older and well loved.

I always prewash my quilt top fabrics. I never prewash my backing. I love to see them shrink and pull together. It gives the quilt such an aged appearance that is pleasing to the eye.

quilt3.jpg

Quote:
It's a very beautiful quilt! I second the above suggestion to sew a few scraps together and wash the heck out of it to see how it reacts. Lots of modern fabrics/dyes don't fade or run too much if at all, I'd be worried about shrinkage more. Because quilt blocks have the grain of the fabric going in every direction, it could shrink evenly, but in several directions causing pulling and/or puckering... or it could be absolutely fine! That's why sewing some scraps in several directions and testing THAT makes so much sense!

Also, I sympathize about your father, I care for my dad who is 90 and has some health problems, but gets around 'his' house ok, not sure about how he'd get along someplace else though and I'm not willing to risk it. Some friends and some of my family think I'm crazy, but they care for us, now it's our turn I guess.

Anyway, back to your quilt, vinegar is also a good thing to add to your wash, my mother swore that it does set colors, and that by adding it to the rinse (instead of softener) got the soap residue out of the fabric, and brightened the colors too. All that seemed a little contradictory to me, but she knew a lot so I'm not going to say it's impossible!!!

Good luck but no matter what, it'll still be lovely! Perfection is highly overrated!!

[edit] listen to MissP!!! She's WAY shmart!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom