Quilting opinions

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Countrywife, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I have a duvet on our queen size bed, love it and ain't giving it up. Problem is, the covers are either all solid colored, or so daggone expensive! I was thinking, if I got material, I could do a quilt pattern, top and bottom, put it together, NOT add the batting, add the buttons, and viola'- i have new, colorful, not $200.00 duvet covers.

Any opinions????

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I think it could work, but I would think the quilt blocks would need a backing of some sort. That would mean you would need to "hold all that together"..ie quilting usually..but maybe tacking it..what are your thoughts as to how you were going to do that?

4. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I have no idea. But all of my duvet covers are cotton, with no backing, so I was thinking just the single layer should maybe be ok. Again, I am thinking out loud, but if I were to just make a duvet cover it would be cotton, single layer. Does cutting and attaching blocks make that different? I am a novice quilter here.

5. speckledhen

You could sew muslin on the back of the blocks, maybe.

6. CedarRidgeChicks

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    [​IMG]..that would work..it just seemed to me that you would want to cover the quilt block seams..just a thought..??

7. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I know nothing about quilting, but we have dozens of them that my mother in law made, and none of them have batting. As far as I can tell there is only the front and back, finished with a piece of fabric around the edges. We love them.

8. speckledhen

I just finished a quilt that was originally going to be a tablecloth, but it fits the top of a queen sized bed. There is no batting since it was going to be a tablecloth so is only suitable as a quilt cover or as a light summer quilt, but for a duvet cover, you'd want to cover the back of the blocks so you wont catch the threads and seams on anything.

All bed quilts have batting that I've ever seen. There is low loft batting which is very thin, but for warmth. Your mother may have used that, and you would probably not be able to tell that it was even there. Of course, it's possible to make one without it, but it would barely give more warmth than just a bed sheet without batting.

9. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I think I would back the quilt(s) with something like muslin or solid cotton also. Regular quilts are stabilized by the actually quilting or tying of the quilt. I would think the movement of pulling the duvet to make the bed and such, may separate your seams prematurely.

10. CedarRidgeChicks

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Agreed!!..the quilt I have on my bed now has the low loft, is around 10yrs old and by feel you can't tell there is batting in there at all..but the warmth is there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by