Quilting Retreat, they are great. Ever been on one?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ginbart, May 18, 2011.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Last weekend I spend the weekend with 18 very nice ladies and all we did was work on our quilts. We didn't need to cook, clean, or even get dressed all the way if you know what I mean. lol and some didn't here are some pics. If you've never been on one and have the opportunity to go, do go.

This is all of us.
    [​IMG]

This pattern is all the same just made with different fabric. It's called the Disappearing Nine Patch.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And this is what I worked on for my DGD for Christmas. I have a long way to go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I have never done an actual quilting retreat but me and 3 of my girlfriends do something similar. We call them scrapbooking weekends because they all scrapbook but I take my sewing machine and sew! We rent a lodge in the mountains and spend all weekend there. We do cook our own meals but always keep it real simple. We don't get out of our pjs either!! I love our weekends. We try to do it about every 3-4 months!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How neat, I'd love to go on one!

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    It sounds wonderful for quilting and scrapbooking - two hobbies I'm hopelessly behind on, LOL!

And the black, red, & White quilt you've started is looking really nice. You'll be done in plenty of time for Christmas!!

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    How fun!

I had a mini retreat last summer. 2 friends drove up from Portland and spent a week with me. We sewed and quilted and went to a quilt show and went shopping the whole time.

It was wonderful!

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Why is that called a disappearing 9 block?

7. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    You make a regular 9 patch block, then cut it (into fourths, if I remember) and reposition those blocks back together - creating a new pattern, thus, the 9 patch block has disappeared [​IMG]

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Your right calicokat, you cut all the way down and across the middle square. It's really nice how some of them came out.

I was told by the lady in charge of the last retreat that she has one set up for next April at the same place. I hope it's not raining all the time. We were on top of a mountian and the view was beautiful but we only got to see it on Friday and I didn't take any pics. I'm going to start saving up for the next one so let me see........ $260.00 (hope it's the same price) divided by 11 months well I'll make it 10 months is ONLY $16.00 a month I think I can hide that somewhere in my bedroom. lol OH, I better save a little more, I'm going to need some spending money silly me. [​IMG]

9. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by