Quilts For Kids Challenge We got a kit!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by WriterofWords, May 18, 2011.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Well I went online to www.quiltsforkids.org and ordered a free kit for the club to do next year. They said it would be about 6 weeks before we got it then it would be due 4 - 6 weeks after we got it. I ordered it last Thursday,, the 12th. We got it today! That means the kids get out of school the 2nd of June, the club meetings are over except for 2 or 3 die hard kids that I stay with after school to finish their projects. So I will be putting this nice little kit together myself it looks like. It comes with everything pre cut, all the pieces, the backing, the only thing you need is the batting. It has to be machine quilted, but we got a machine donated that does embroidery and has a walking foot, so I will attempt to learn to use it over the summer and maybe quilt this myself. It's small with very explicit directions. I'm looking forward to it! Send good quilting thoughts my way please???

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Looks like your going to be busy this summer. I wish I could help you. [​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Did you email them and tell them that you were going to have your students do it next year?

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    No, I decided to go ahead and do it myself so I can familiarize myself with it. The hard part is going to be the requirement that it be machine quilted and they want a lot of quilting too. They ask that if possible you do that one and then one of your own to send with it. The pieces aren't that bad at all, I'm going to cut out some strips and squares according to their measurements and make up some kits over the summer for the club kids to do next year. I'm going to email them and let them know what's going on though. On another note, the Queen size quilt my club did is finished being quilted and now just needs the binding on, we get it back tomorrow. I didn't know the measurements were actually King size and it didn't fit the frame they have so they cut it down to Queen size to be able to quilt it for us.
    Tomorrow is our end of the year party for the kids, then we pack up most of our gear for the summer. There are 3 who aren't finished so we are staying after school every day until they are done and we are working at lunch too. We are trying to sell a couple of our crochet lap blankets and small quilts to buy more batting, we ran out of the big roll that was donated to us finally. I've got pics to post as soon as I get a chance.

5. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I logged onto the quiltforkids website and the quilts are beautiful. I would do this but I am already involved in making pillowcases for children with cancer. These pillowcases have gone to childrens' hospital in Louisville and Vanderbilt in Nashville. This is such a great thing that you are doing with your students. It is actually children helping children and must give your students pride and accomplishment, as well as a skill. [​IMG]

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I just may have to do this ove rhte summer with my girls. there is no chapter near me so.....just my luck. [​IMG] Thanks Writer and its nice to see you still getting things going for the kids.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We turned in 100 pillowcases from our club. The kids are just on such a high from being able to do this. I was able to take two students to the Child Crises Center to turn in some quilts and crochet items, they couldn't believe how many kids there were there. One little girl who got a "lovey banky" as she called it, had bruises, and broken bones. I had a hysterical student when she SAW that and I had to take her outside to calm her down. She comes from a rough background and I didn't know she had been in that position before and it hit her just how bad her childhood had been before she was taken from her mother. We got her a sewing machine at a garage sale last weekend and are getting it fixed for her, it's a surprise. She has been making her little brother (20 months) some shorts with an elastic waist band, she has a really good eye!

Had to fix was to SAW

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:Bitter-Sweet

9. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop