1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quinn is changing...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by A roo or two, Oct 1, 2013.

1. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    I posted Quinn's picture about two weeks ago to see if anyone had any ideas on his breed(s). He was sold as a BR but I knew he was crossed as he had feathered feet, so part of me thought crossed with Cochin or maybe Maran. Well now we have cheeks!! Anyone care to venture into what he might be now? You can see in the one pic the color of his feet/legs is kind of dark, maybe a grey-green color. He is 7 weeks old in these pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    With those tufts, I think he's probably a Barred Cochin/Easter Egger or Ameraucana mix. He could have some Barred Rock in him, though, and/or he could even be a more complicated mix. He's a pretty boy, whatever he is!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you know what else the breeder you got him from has besides BR? He is looking more like a three or four way mix.

4. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    She claimed he should be pure bred. She even offered to take him back and exchange him (and the other roo who was suppsr to be BR and has a rose comb). But I wasn't worried about him being mixed so I kept him. Basically I got no further breed info from her. Maybe someone sold her barred chicks/chickens and she thinks they are BR.

5. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    What a handsome chicken! Please keep us posted as he matures!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that he is definitely a mix. He probably has some Barred Cochin in him, or some Barred Rock. The ear tufts make me think that he could also have some Easter Egger or Ameraucana in him.

7. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Oh I don't doubt he is mixed. I just wish I knew with what. :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Could be a cuckoo marans/easter egger mix. Cuckoos don't usually have that much leg feathering, though, and if one parent were easter egger I wouldn't think to have such a nice straight comb. I agree with the above, probably at least a 3 way mix. It would be interesting to see the seller's flock!

9. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    With the green legs and face tufts I would say Easter Egger mixed with something else. He is handsome!

10. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Maybe barred cochin and EE? I wouldn't be surprised if he is a three or four way mix. Does anyone know if he is part EE would his female offspring lay green/blue eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by