Quinoa anyone??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by TammyTX, Dec 22, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I am embarking on a diet focused on "super foods" after the New Year.

There seems to be a lot positive information about quinoa.

Has anyone experimented with it in recipes? I have a pot of boiled quinoa right now but that's the only way I have fixed it in the past....a whole two times in the past. [​IMG]

I have read some recipes on the 'net, but I was looking for some personal experience.

Here is a link about quinoa: http://chetday.com/quinoa.html

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    we love it.
    I use it as a substitute for rice or other grains for variety.
    I have the following recipe in my "to try later" file. looks like it treats it rather like tabuleh or cous cous, I liked the sound of it.

Quinoa with Black Beans and Cilantro

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 cups chopped white onions
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup quinoa,* rinsed, drained
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    11/2 cups water
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
    Crumbled Cotija cheese or feta cheese (optional)

Preparation
    Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and red pepper; sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in next 4 ingredients. Add water; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until quinoa is almost tender, about 14 minutes. Add beans and 1/4 cup cilantro; cook uncovered until heated through and liquid is fully absorbed, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cilantro and cheese, if desired.

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Get Bob's Red Mill, you can find it in bulk on amazon.com it's already prerinsed to remove that bitter covering.

We eat it once or twice a week, I make a whole grain bread with any left overs.

The favorite thing at the moment, no name for it yet but it's kinda like a markakesh chicken dish:
    2 chicken breasts sliced up in strips
    1 onion diced
    1 carrot diced
    1 cup quinoa
    1 tbsp cilantro, dried
    1 tsp each powdered ginger, cumin, coriander, salt
    2 cups chicken or veggie broth

In skillet, brown strips of chicken breast with a bit of olive oil and set them aside, add diced onion, carrot and saute for a few minutes, add quinoa and toast for a minute or so, add cilantro, ginger salt, cumin, coriander and toast for just a couple of seconds. Add broth bring to boil, add chicken to top and set lid on it, turn down to a simmer and cook until quinoa has absorbed all the broth, about 20 to 25 minutes

Quinoa pilaf
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups chicken or veggie broth
    1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
    1/2 onion diced
    1 small carrot diced
    1 clove garlic minced
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    salt/pepper to taste
    and we are big ginger people so there's a tsp in here as well

Saute onions and carrots for a couple of minutes in olive oil, add spices and quinoa, toast for a few seconds, add garlic, apricots, almonds and broth. Bring to a boil for a minute and reduce to simmer until cooked through, about 2o minutes

We make so many different things it's hard to think of them all!

5. rachaelc

rachaelc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Newberg
    [​IMG] Good for you! I love quinoa, Use it insted of rice as well. Especially summer, Cooks up fast and makes great mediterranenan salads, tomatoe ,olives, cukes etc. I bought a bag of the red quinoa this alst time. Little nuttier flavor but great. In Peru, where it comes from, they use it in soups, chicken broth, vegetable etc. Oh is it good. Try www.karinaskitchen.com fro lots of other recipes that are gluten gree. Is also a great link.
    Good luck
    Rachaelc-mother of all

6. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    These sound goooood! [​IMG]

I never thought about paring quinoa with cilantro but it makes complete sense considering it's orgins.

We go in to Austin oft enough and Central Market carries it in bulk. I think it's rinsed...no suds in the batch I made last night.

Thanks! [​IMG] I'm going to the grocery later today!!

Any other ideas are welcome.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have found that quinoa requires about 3X the spice you think it would. If you don't introduce alot of spice & veggies as you cook, it is hard to get it tastey enough later. I do a middle-eastern version with garlic, S&P, lemon, allspice, tomatoes, parsley, cumin, cinnamon and red pepper flakes. I LOVE quinoa. You can load up on it & not feel heavy.

Yum!

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I use it in a very simple salad. Take cooked Quinoa, add chopped apples, walnuts & a raspberry vinagrette dressing. Very tasty.

1 person likes this.
  9. BedHead

BedHead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Alberta
    Here's a salad I made up using it. I like to rinse my quinoa well and then dry roast it in a frying pan before cooking it. I've also read that it should be soaked for about 8 hours prior to cooking, like grains (quinoa is actually a fruit) but I haven't done that yet.

CURRY QUINOA SALAD

1 cup quinoa, uncooked
    2 cups water
    1 tsp to 1 tbsp curry powder, depending on your taste

Cook together about 20 min until quinoa is cooked. Cool in fridge for a couple hours or overnight then add:
    1 roma tomato, chopped
    3 inches of English cucumber, chopped
    2 tbsp pine nuts
    4 green onions, chopped
    1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed under cold water

DRESSING:
    3 tbsp each rice vinegar and olive/canola oil
    1 tsp fresh grated ginger
    ½ tsp dried cilantro

Mix dressing together and toss into other ingredients. Serve right away or chill and serve.

10. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    I love quinoa!
    My favorite way is to cook it in homemade chicken stock, with chopped carrots.
    It makes a delicious pilaf-y dish.
    -Zay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by