Quinoa Fed To Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barnyard Dawg, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife brought home some quinoa which we fed to our chickens for the first time. Quinoa is an easy food to prepare, we cooked it in a rice cooker, it has a pleasantly light, fluffy texture when cooked and its mild, slightly nutty flavor makes it an excellent alternative to white rice or couscous. We added quinoa to some rice and crumble the chickens liked it but not as well as the rice which is still their favorite.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Is it a grain, like rice?

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    quinoa is YUMMY. expensive to feed to chickens. feed to me, please. [​IMG]

4. Barnyard Dawg

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife uses it for baking I'am not that familiar with it, it is like millet.

5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Did you have to rinse your quinoa?
    I have 1/2 a bag left over from a recipe I made and I was thinking of feeding it to my chickens, but the bag I have says that you should
    "rinse quinoa thoroughly to wash away any naturally occurring bitter tasting saponins. Saponins are soap-like substances that occur on the outside of the quinoa grains. It is believed they are put there by nature to deter insects and birds."
    I was afraid the girls either wouldn't eat it or I would poision them!

6. Barnyard Dawg

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We always wash our rice and quinoa even though some people don't.

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Its a really great source of protein, one of the only complete vegetable sources.

1 person likes this.
  8. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    Amaranth=quinoa=loves-lies-bleeding are all the same plant. Use the leaves when the plant is young,the seed heads,what can I say,pull the roots and roast by the fireside to make prairie coffee. It's a pretty plant and it can grow tall.

9. Barnyard Dawg

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We grow Amaranth in our garden and feed it to our chickens, you can pick the leaves and they keep coming back.

10. Missa Chickabee

Missa Chickabee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Right. It's a seed and not a grain....very nutritious. Solves the gluten and wheat allergy problem for a lot of people. Should be washed...it's the outer part that's bitter. I use in lieu of rice in recipes sometimes and instead of bulgar in tabouleh. I'm sure good for chickens...but not cheap!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by