Quit eating the Chicken poop!!!

CombatDiva

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
North Carolina
We've had chickens for a while now and often let them roam as they please along with our two mini Dachshunds
hugs.gif
problem is we can't seem to keep our dogs from eating the chicken poop. They risk getting in trouble just to snack on the chickens' poop and I can not imagine this is okay for them.
sickbyc.gif
Has anyone else experienced their furry family members enjoying the feathered family members poop? and if so, what did you do about it?

Dogs are gross. It seemed horrifying when I saw them eating chicken poop, but then they discovered the cat's litter box....
roll.png

I did ask the vet about the chicken poop once and she said it was gross, but wouldn't hurt them. I guess one good thing about it is they're helping to clean up? Ugh.

Ok good....If the vet says it won't hurt them then that makes me feel much better. Its totally disgusting to see and I couldn't figure out how to keep them from doing it other than yelling at them, lol. Thanks so much for the info
smile.png

This is why I never, ever let a dog lick me. There's too many kinds of poop around here for them to eat. I swear we could make a feed cycle of who eats who else's poop.

You guys are lucky! Mine eat some, then roll in some, then eat some more. Then they want to come in the house and throw it up in the kitchen floor. And wind up yhe day by trying to scrape the poop off on the front of the couch !

Yes.... Its gross. I am just thankful that our chickens appear to be smarter than our dogs and do NOT eat poop. We make our regular "pooper scooper" rounds of course, but I'm not sure that I could stomach eating our eggs if i ever caught the girls eating poop. Thank God (knock on wood) we don't have THAT problem.
yesss.gif

Quote:
Lol, isn't that the truth! I got over the dogs poop eating habits a long time ago and learned to appreciate the fact that after the chickens have visited and left their gifts on the driveway or the front walk the dogs are all to happy to come along and slurp them up and leave the cement nice and clean! Then they visit the barn for some yummy goat berries and any wayward rabbit turds that escaped the pens. Dog heaven! I am glad however that we don't have cattle any more since cow crap seems to be the preferred material for rolling in!

You guys are lucky! Mine eat some, then roll in some, then eat some more. Then they want to come in the house and throw it up in the kitchen floor. And wind up yhe day by trying to scrape the poop off on the front of the couch !
I feel your pain!! It makes you wonder if the people that post those "Dogs make your life complete" things on Facebook even have dogs, doesn't it? LOL You can't live with them and can't live without them.
wink.png

well I haven't experienced that yet cuz I'm starting with 3 hens tonight(picking them up ) but my 4 yr. old shepard I find her munching on
her poop and sometimes catching her in the kitty box........ yea that's a nasty habit.

Back
Top Bottom