1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quit laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bockbock2008, Dec 30, 2008.

1. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm new to the whole chicken thing. I got 25 chicks in March 2008 from the local farm supply store. Ended up with about 13 hens. I lost only 2. When they finally got big enough I built them an 8' x 12' coop and was going to let them free range. That lasted about 6 weeks and was getting about 4-6 eggs per day. Then in late august we had a coyote? attack in the middle of the day. We found 11 piles of feathers. The next week I got (2) - 18 week old delawares that each lay almost every day. My neighbor gave me (15) - 20 week old OE hens and none of them has ever laid. After the massacre my first chickens stopped laying and havent started back. They eat a layer ration and show no signs of disease. They are cooped at night and in a 15' x 40' run during the day. Someone told me the ratio of 23 hens to 4 roosters could be stressing them. Any other ideas.

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Stress can cause hens to quit laying for awhile, but yours should be long past the time for that. Of course, the days are shorter, and yours could be needing supplemental light. The breeds you have are fairly good layers, but RIR's, leghorns, or several of the Plymouth Rocks would be better and lay more uniformly year round.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by