Quit smoking today, anyone feelin my grrrr?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rcentner, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Giving it another go today, we are too poor to smoke cigarettes. Thinking of all the money we will save and how I really need a new chicken run. I think I am gonna try that....think about my chickens every time I want to smoke. Using the patch, but still tough. just that recurring grrrrrrrr feeling. Found myself yelling at a car riding my tail on the way home from work. Stupid cigarettes. Good thing I wanted to look cool when I was little. Sad thing is that if they were still $2 a pack, I would definatley still smoke them. Incase you are reading this and you don't know, Cigarettes (the decent ones, worth smoking) are about $9.50 a pack in the lovely state of new york. With 2 people in my household smoking about 1 pack a day....ya way too much money.
    ok, I am done rambling, someone elses turn!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good luck, it is tough quitting. If you hang in there it does get better. Quitting was the best thing i've done for myself.

Imp

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My mother is trying to quit again too...
    She just started Chantix (sp?) for the first time... (she usually uses the patches..)
    Shes struggling today and yesterday...
    We'll see what happens....

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Think of all the chickens you could buy with $20 a day~~~ That would be incentive enough![​IMG]

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! It helps to have a vision, like your chickens. When I quit I had the feeling that nothing in life would ever be as enjoyable without cigarettes as it was with em. I was wrong, or at least I forget what it was like back then [​IMG].

6. wenlo

wenlo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Try replacing it with a healthy habit. I drank water everytime I wanted a smoke. I got one of those sportsbottle tops - gave my mouth something to do. If you can make it for three days, you can make it for life! Good for you!

7. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

keep trying..9.50 x 30= 285.00. I tried to quit about 10 years ago, got off them for 6 months. started back. 3 years ago the doc gave me chantrex--might be spelling that wrong--what a difference it made. You keep smoking while the drug does it work, and lo and behold one day i realized i hadn't even thought about a cig for 4 hours, and i smoked marlboro lights, a pack a day. I knew at that point I COULD quit. set my goal day to quit and did. It really was ALOT easier on the chantrex, totally different experience. good luck to you, you CAN do it.

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    The cravings will get better and so will the mood!!!!!!!!!!! Stick with it. I quit 20+ years ago but I had to have something to keep my fingers busy and something to nibble on. How about some incentive that is VERY visual?? Get a big jar, bottle or other clear container, make a cover to secure on top with an opening just big enough to drop money in. Then drop the cigarette money that you & spouse spend in there every day (or at least 1/2 of it). It's hands off for a time, just look at the 'pile of money' growing when you need a reminder/encouragement. Maybe you want to fix up a baggie of carrot sticks, celery or bite sized raw crunchy veggies that you can keep for 'emergencies' and munch on those till the worst craving is over (I know, no nicotine but it does distract....). Not only will quitting be good for your pocketbook (and maybe get you a nice new coop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but also for your health.... So growl if you must, vent here if it helps and good luck!!!

9. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I quit cold turkey 15 years ago. The problem that I always had was that I'd finish the "last pack" and wake up the next morning knowing that I didn't have my cigarettes anymore. It was something that would fixate me. I didn't have any cigarettes with me. I'd normally break down at some point and go buy a pack and feel better physically but not emotionally. When I did finally quit I kept a pack in my pocket for 2 days. I figured that if I were going to start up again then I'd they were right there ready to go. By doing that I lost the fixation of no cigarettes and could focus on distracting myself during the cravings which normally last 10 to 15 seconds. Day 1 was sheer hell but I made it. Day 2 was a bit better. Day 3 was improved. etc...

10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Grrrrr as much as you need to! Congratulations on your efforts to quit smoking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by