Quite a Few Unknown Breed Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aslea, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Aslea

Aslea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Leesburg GA
    So we have six older chickens between six months and two years. I know we have one pure Black Orpington, and a Black Orpington with a Lavender Sire. The other four I have absolutely no clue on what breeds or what their real colors are. I plan on breeding next year and would like to know what breeds we have and their colors. :)

So here is Rooster Number 1, six months old. Possibly a little less. I was told he is a Light Brahma by a breeder but we have no background on him and I'd like other input. He had to have all his wing tips cut off when he was younger so he'd stop getting in with the big girls, because our Alpha hen is extremely aggressive.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rooster Number 2, acquired with Rooster Number 1. Also about six months old. I was guessing White Leghorn. He is going through a huge growth spurt right now. He has a few brown and black flecks on his wings that look Barred in pattern.
    [​IMG]

Hen number one, our Alpha hen named Meanie. We believe meanie is about a year and a half old or two years old. Never had chicks. Lays daily. The brown on her neck is the only non-black on her entire body.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And then our newest little addition, Lady. She had four chicks I included pictures of with an unknown rooster before we bought her. She wouldn't stand on the wire but she has really short, feathery legs. Wouldn't stand because she has deformed feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]\
    [​IMG]\

Yea, lol, kinda did some photoshop to spice up the Chick Pics for Facebook. Love them so much.

2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

1- light brahma, great big birds and extremely friendly,
    2- could be a leghorn but the body looks a little big, kinda like a Cornish x
    3- black sex link pullet, great egg layer
    Olive, Amber, ruby and azalea all look to be either Cochins. How many toes do they have?

And the little black one, I can't tell if he's all black cause the pic makes it look like it might have brown in it

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  3. Aslea

Jul 31, 2014
    Leesburg GA

Little black is all black and all four chicks are hers. Also they have three toes to stand on plus the fourth "thumb" as I would call it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Then I'm thinking their Cochins, but little black don't have feathered legs right?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Light Brahma
    Mixed breed. Leghorns have white earlobes and are pure white. This guy could have Leghorn blood, or just a mix of white Rock, etc
    Black sex link hen
    Lady's head looks like Dark Cornish, but nothing else fits that. A pic of her standing would really help. She could be a poor quality Cochin, or a mix. I'm guessing her chicks are all mixed breed birds.

6. Aslea

Jul 31, 2014
    Leesburg GA
    [​IMG]

She's standing as high as she can. Normal.

7. Aslea

Jul 31, 2014
    Leesburg GA
    Yes she has leg feathers, so does all her babies. Posted a picture of her above ^

She's a tiny thing and about a year old. She's a little bigger than a Bantam, but not by much. Her chicks by the look of egg size from mom and their size I would say are about a month old, not much older.

8. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Cochin mix then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by